Instructor Experience

How many dives and how many agencies do you teach for?

• 100 logged dives +

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • 250 logged dives +

• 350 logged dives +

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 600 logged dives +

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 1000 logged dives +

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • 1 Agency

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • 2 Agencies

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 3 Agencies

• 4 Agencies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 or more Agencies

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
...By the way, DEE told me to be nice. So I am being nice, and I wont reply to your indirect ad hominem.

Karl, I appreciate your restraint but you must understand that all anyone is asking is that you provide proof of your claims and/or statements. That's not an unreasonable request. I think everyone has been kindly asking for this proof that you refuse to give. With the exception of Motivation, whose post I have edited. Being nice doesn't mean making controversial statements and not being willing to back them up when asked.

Motivation...anymore name calling and your posts will be removed.

To everyone.....If this thread starts going downhill I'll start slashing posts to clean it up. Surely you guys have something better to do. I know I do and it's not baby sitting a bunch of grown men!

Ok, since babysitting is out, can I at least have a spanking? :wink:

Dee once bubbled...

To everyone.....If this thread starts going downhill I'll start slashing posts to clean it up. Surely you guys have something better to do. I know I do and it's not baby sitting a bunch of grown men!

4 weeks ago I was in Sharm El Sheikh and attended an OWD course...

The fist day I put just a little bit of water in my mask and cleared it...
The second day I half flooded the mask and then cleared it...
The third day I fully flooded the mask and then cleared it...

I have to admit that the mask was not removed from my face, I just moved it a little bit far from my face in order to let it flood...

Was it correct or not ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Erik Il Rosso once bubbled...
4 weeks ago I was in Sharm El Sheikh and attended an OWD course...

The fist day I put just a little bit of water in my mask and cleared it...
The second day I half flooded the mask and then cleared it...
The third day I fully flooded the mask and then cleared it...

I have to admit that the mask was not removed from my face, I just moved it a little bit far from my face in order to let it flood...

Was it correct or not ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Was it a PADI course? PADI specifically mandates a full removal and replacement of the mask in the OW course. Anything less goes against PADI standards. The first two steps you described are normal.

And don't get confused by what Karl is saying. I'm sure he does his best but he doesn't appear to have a firm grip on the facts much of the time.

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Was it a PADI course? PADI specifically mandates a full removal and replacement of the mask in the OW course. Anything less goes against PADI standards. The first two steps you described are normal.

And don't get confused by what Karl is saying. I'm sure he does his best but he doesn't appear to have a firm grip on the facts much of the time.

R..

I was not a PADI course, it was a SNSI course...

I got only 13 dives under my belt and I start to get confused...

Were things done correctly ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

OneBrightGator once bubbled...

You know, I try and I try and I try... but I can't turn away from this one.

Do you have any clue what Accident Analysis is? Any cave diver on this board could tell you the six causes of fatalities, and they are, IN ORDER:

1. Training (lack of)
2. Guidline (not using one)
3. Air (breaking Rule of 1/3s)
4. Depth (exceeding MOD)
5. Lights (not carrying 3)
6. Solo

ugh...

Ben

HyeBen- Lloyd was your instructor, right? To be technically correct, only the first five are accepted by NACD/NSS-CDS. Llos has been pushing for #6 for years (I, too, agree with it though). Lloyd was also my instructor :)

Dee once bubbled...
I know I do and it's not baby sitting a bunch of grown men!
We know who you're married too...we know this is a lie:haha:....

but on with the thread....Erik Il Rosso...try to get comfortable with not having your mask on u/w...at this point, you have license to learn and make yourself a better diver. Yes, in a perfect world all intructors would follow all standards...it just doesn't happen. Corners get cut, and students get cheated....however, there are lots of divers out there willing to work with you. Find someone you trust, and go doa few dives with them working on Mask Removal and replace, regulator removal and replace, etc.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

but on with the thread....Erik Il Rosso...try to get comfortable with not having your mask on u/w...at this point, you have license to learn and make yourself a better diver. Yes, in a perfect world all intructors would follow all standards...it just doesn't happen. Corners get cut, and students get cheated....however, there are lots of divers out there willing to work with you. Find someone you trust, and go doa few dives with them working on Mask Removal and replace, regulator removal and replace, etc.

The point is that I also got the AOWD certifcation in Sharm plus the Nitrox option...

I did all the excercises you listed like reg removal and replace, using a reg in free flow. inflating my BC using my lungs and so on...

All these exercises were successfully completed by me but I have to admit that I did all the exercises only once...
I asked if these exercises had to be done more than once but they said it was sufficient...

At one point I asked why it took so long to obtain certification when you are in your own country and they replied that when you are on holiday you got more time and can do it full time...

Being a rookie I had to trust them but now lots of doubts are arising...

I will surely spend some of time in the next dives doing all the exercises all over again...

Once I will have more dives under my belt I would like to attend a "Stress & Rescue" course but I think that I will attend it in Italy.

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

<snip>

Being a rookie I had to trust them but now lots of doubts are arising...

Erik,

If you're not feeling confident about the skills or the training you received then you can ask an instructor to do a "check out" or "review" with you before you take your rescue course. If something comes out of that then they will have a chance to clean it up before you take rescue. It will also help you to feel more confident to have a 2nd instructor look at your skills.

I will surely spend some of time in the next dives doing all the exercises all over again...

That's a good idea.

Once I will have more dives under my belt I would like to attend a "Stress & Rescue" course but I think that I will attend it in Italy.

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

So is that.

R..

First of all, I agree with R...his suggestion of doing a "review" or whatever you want to call it before your next class will make you feel a lot better, even if that instructor tells you that some work needs to be done.

That aside...Can I make a suggestion of trying to do all your exercises off of a platform or off the bottom (assuming you did them on a platform or on the bottom the first time). Try and remain at the same depth for all of them....yeah it's a challege, but something that will give you loads of confidence once you complete that.

Back
Top Bottom