Instructor molested me on first dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Axle Rose said, "Sometimes I feel like I'm beatin' a dead horse..." Can we move this thread?
The bottom line is: REPORT IT!!!

Report it to PADI and report it to the Dive Shop and report it to the police!

I took a resort course (3-4 hours and a beach dive) before going on my "boat dive" with an instructor. I freaked out after going under about 5 feet and had to come up. The instructor encourage me to try again, I relaxed and he took my hand. Even though I was still panicky and having trouble with the breathing, he kept taking me down. Throughout the dive, he took his regulator out and kissed my hand, arms, neck and ear. He pulled me against him and proceeded to grope and touch. I was under water for the first time... went over 45 feet and although I made motions for him to stop, he didn't. I felt helpless and confused. Is this something that happens often? I don't want this negative first experience to keep me from trying this again, but I didn't dive again on this trip (and I could have). I just returned home today and even though this took place over 4 days ago.. well, it was just a very upsetting experience. So it does happen...I would love to name places and names, but I would hate to hurt anyone who wasn't involved. Just be careful and make sure you are with more than just one stranger on your first dive.

There are sexual predators everywhere around us. They lurk as teachers in schools, priests in church and so it is not surprising they lurk as scuba instructors at dive resorts.

With that said, and being in full agreement that the situation as you described it is inappropriate, illegal and indefensible, I sense the slightest possibility that a cultural difference may also be in play here. There is also the possibility that the Instructor's holding of the hand was to ease your fears. I have extended my hand to many new divers - both male and female to help calm them and give them the comfort of contact maintenance.

What could have started innocently enough may also have been pursued by the Instructor if you did not immediately make it clear you were not interested. I don't at all suggest you lead him on - however many Instructors - especially at resorts around the world (both male and female) are known for their "unprofessional" behavior ("hooking up") with the guests.

Once you made it clear to himyou did not appreciate the advances (it sounds like somewhere between the kissing of the arm, neck and ears and the groping,) his behavior became an all out sexual assault and should be dealt with as such.

While making the name of the Instructor and resort public may help others avoid the same drama, it may also open up an unnecessary can of public worms. My recommendation is to directly contact the certifying agency and advise them of what occurred. They will want a written and signed statement for it to be taken seriously but you can start with a phone call to the right person. If you need help finding out who that person would be, please feel free to contact me. We take issues in our sport very seriously. As a PADI, SDI/TDI and PSAI facility and with Instructors on staff from NAUI and SSI, we can point you in the right direction if the Instructor was from any of these agencies.

I am hopeful that you are fine and feel confident enough to pursue this action against the individual if you feel it is appropriate. I am also hopeful you will return to diving with a renewed confidence, knowing that you have already survived an underwater encounter with the most dangerous creature in the water - man.

Here's to happy diving...

Define what certification agency he/she (the instructor) is certified as. (E.g. what he/she is teaching through) and file a complaint with them. From a legal stand point, I doubt you were the first (not to be rude), but make sure you are the last.

We are not counselors here, but can always be the shoulder to lean on and listen….

P.S. The octo hose makes a great item to strangle idiots for such occasions! (Had to lighten mood up here...)

One last note- contact tourism bureau of where you were, let them know how this jerk/moron is representing their location. They will surely help you.

good advice from all of you. I'm gonna talk to the dive shop, make it history and get my certification. thanks

Sorry to hear about what happen. There are some dirt bags out there, and I have ran into a few. They think scuba is a cool way to meet women. Those instructors are total losers.

Try finding a shop with a women instructor, it my lessen any discomfort from what happen on your resort dive. It may not do much, but it may help with any psychological discomfort.

Welcome to the board, Glad to hear you will continue to explore this sport.

First, I would like to say how amazed I am at the responses I've seen to my original post. All I can say is thank you. Basically, I was so confused about the whole thing, didn't want to ruin the vacation.. etc.. After reading the replies to my original post, I emailed the manager and the owner of the dive shop. They responded immediately, spoke to the instructor and contacted the authorities. The instructor denied any wrongdoing. He was suspended for 15 days. Because I did not immediately report the incident to the authorities and it occurred in a country other than mine, there is really nothing that can be done. I just want to put it behind me now, although I am glad that I brought it up. The responses showed me that experienced divers take the sport seriously and have pride in what they do. As to reporting the incident to PADI, I don't have any proof; I didn't say anything right away; I suffered no physical injuries... so now it's time to move on. Thanks for the support.

first of all if this idot dive instructor thinks he is going to get off 20 feet underwater, he is simply a fool. ever try to have sex underwater?, it simply doesn't work.

she doesn't want to do anything about it, but it makes me very angry. This is someone new to the sport of diving, someone that might support the industry. Now of course she isn't going to trust any other dive instructor ever again.

Additionally it was a high probability that someone on their first dive could have panicked.. lots of people do, as most of you know. To allow this thing to happen, in my opinion boils down to attempted murder.

Last edited:
first of all if this idot dive instructor thinks he is going to get off 20 feet underwater, he is simply a fool. ever try to have sex underwater?, it simply doesn't work.

speaking from experience, i see :D

Because I did not immediately report the incident to the authorities and it occurred in a country other than mine, there is really nothing that can be done. I just want to put it behind me now, although I am glad that I brought it up. The responses showed me that experienced divers take the sport seriously and have pride in what they do. As to reporting the incident to PADI, I don't have any proof; I didn't say anything right away; I suffered no physical injuries... so now it's time to move on. Thanks for the support.

Is this a true legal "opinion", or that of the dive shop or Instructor who are counting on you not reporting this to PADI?

PADI has a Quality Control department that is there to protect you and other divers like you who may be at risk because no one put them on notice that this guy is a predator.

Please reconsider reporting it to PADI!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom