Intova Mini Torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only complaint is about the slide switch. It has become extremely difficult to turn on, even more so to turn off. May need to contact the manufacturer about that issue.

Agree - if you wear them clipped on but secured under rubber tubing on your rig, it is easy to accidentally switch them on when pushing them under the tube, and run your battery all the way down.

Not that I have ever done anything that bone headed of course. Ahem.

Agree - if you wear them clipped on but secured under rubber tubing on your rig, it is easy to accidentally switch them on when pushing them under the tube, and run your battery all the way down.

Not that I have ever done anything that bone headed of course. Ahem.

Luckily I haven't had that issue. However, it was my bonehead husband that left one of them on. And ran it down. He's buying the next brick.

Buying disposable batteries in bulk isn't my idea of a great solution to a problem, unless you carry that brick with you everywhere you go.

If you're ever traveling, or even away from home, and need spares, you're paying local retail prices for those new batteries. I've seen $7 each at local convenience stores... those that have them at all. Many don't. The situation would be even worse when traveling.

Slow self-discharge NiMH is the way to go for local use around home. If you ever need replacements in a pinch, alkaline AAA's are available EVERYWHERE, for semi-reasonable prices, even.

There's a reason they use those batteries as opposed to alkaline though, much lower internal resistance for more sustained higher output uses (high powered lights) and they're better in cold temps too when that's a factor.

It's no harder carrying around a few extra lithium batteries than alkaline. If you run out suddenly yes it will probably cost you more.

There's a reason they use those batteries as opposed to alkaline though, much lower internal resistance for more sustained higher output uses (high powered lights) and they're better in cold temps too when that's a factor.

It's no harder carrying around a few extra lithium batteries than alkaline. If you run out suddenly yes it will probably cost you more.

I believe that when my buddy purchased the bulk brick, the batteries priced at about $6/pair.

I got myself the Intova Compact torch., has a push buttom at the back. As previously described, it uses 3 AAA batteries. I delivers 130 lumens for 6 hours easy. I was shocked at the performance for such a small light. Torch have 3 settings. 100% power, 30% power and strobe mode. I use this a primary light, and also works well during night dives. This is a narrow beam light, I understand they also have a wide beam torch. Don’t buy one, buy 2!!!!!!! They are great value for money and very reliable. Torch can also be used on land, the CREE LED does not heat up like others.

I use the compact, but was looking at the mini. My only complaint about the compact is the magnetic switch (side mount version). I have 2 and one of them is really having a problem turning on consistently. I've popped the switch out and there was a little rust on the magnet. I cleaned that off, but it's still having some issues from time-to-time. The batteries aren't really a problem. I order them from Battery Junction for about $1.25/battery.
I'd be interested in seeing how the mini works. These are, for the most part, really good and bright lights.

I use the compact, but was looking at the mini. My only complaint about the compact is the magnetic switch (side mount version). I have 2 and one of them is really having a problem turning on consistently. I've popped the switch out and there was a little rust on the magnet. I cleaned that off, but it's still having some issues from time-to-time. The batteries aren't really a problem. I order them from Battery Junction for about $1.25/battery.
I'd be interested in seeing how the mini works. These are, for the most part, really good and bright lights.

YOU DO NOT "USE THE COMPACT".

The "Intova Compact Torch" is a specific model. It comes in ONE variety: 3x AAA batteries, rear push button switch. The beam is narrow, and there is no wide angle version (currently).

The "Intova Mini Torch" is the newest model, which is a tiny light which uses ONE cr123 battery and has a tail push button, like the Compact.

Intova makes several other lights, and they are all relatively "compact" but the "Intova Compact Torch" is a very specific model. They all have a similar looking body, which confuses the issue a bit... but if your light has a side-mounted switch, you do not have an Intova Compact Torch (or the Mini), you have the "Nova" or the "Nova Wide Angle". If your light uses CR123 batteries, you to not have an Intova Compact Torch, you have the "Nova" or the "Nova Wide Angle" (or the Mini, if it's only one cr123 with a tail push button). (The Nova and Nova Wide, further, came in both the original 3w variety and the newer, upgraded 4.7w variety.)

In this case, "Compact" is not a description... it's a model name.

All four of the current lineup use CREE 4.7w LEDs.

Intova Nova

Intova Nova Wide Angle

Intova Compact Torch

Intova Mini Torch

Sorry, pet peeve of mine, because I've seen way too many people popping into threads discussing this specific model with complaints about their light, which is a completely different model.

YOU DO NOT "USE THE COMPACT".

The "Intova Compact Torch" is a specific model. It comes in ONE variety: 3x AAA batteries, rear push button switch. The beam is narrow, and there is no wide angle version (currently).

The "Intova Mini Torch" is the newest model, which is a tiny light which uses ONE cr123 battery and has a tail push button, like the Compact.

Intova makes several other lights, and they are all relatively "compact" but the "Intova Compact Torch" is a very specific model. They all have a similar looking body, which confuses the issue a bit... but if your light has a side-mounted switch, you do not have an Intova Compact Torch (or the Mini), you have the "Nova" or the "Nova Wide Angle". If your light uses CR123 batteries, you to not have an Intova Compact Torch, you have the "Nova" or the "Nova Wide Angle" (or the Mini, if it's only one cr123 with a tail push button). (The Nova and Nova Wide, further, came in both the original 3w variety and the newer, upgraded 4.7w variety.)

In this case, "Compact" is not a description... it's a model name.

All four of the current lineup use CREE 4.7w LEDs.

Intova Nova

Intova Nova Wide Angle

Intova Compact Torch

Intova Mini Torch

Sorry, pet peeve of mine, because I've seen way too many people popping into threads discussing this specific model with complaints about their light, which is a completely different model.
You need therapy!!! But you're right the lights are the Novas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom