Intova Mini Torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pet peeve too.
NO INTOVA LIGHT USES A 4.7WATT CREE LED!!!!!! There is no such thing!

What they use are Cree XR-E's which are rated at 700ma max from Cree but many run them at 1000ma at 3.7V (+-) so 3.7 watt.

Its false advertising and in NZ illegal. Surprised it isnt in USA too.

Yes, we've been over this... although I'll note my post was before your extensive rant on TDS.

"All current Intova lights are advertised as using 4.7w CREE LED's, although the true wattage figure is a bit lower"

Better?

Might want to contact Intova and tell them to change their packaging and website specifications chart, since both claim 4.7w.

# LED: 1 CREE
# Watts: 4.7 watts

I'm sure they'll jump right on that for you.

Why the hostility? He's right, there is no such thing as a Cree 4.7 W led. Unless you work for Intova it's no personal comment regarding you. If you are interested in Intova lights I'd think you would appreciate the facts. It doesn't change the fact that it's a nice light and it's bright. Just don't think when you see it advertised as 4.7 W that it's any different than some other light that is not advertised that way.

As a matter of fact, it doesn't even tell you anything about brightness It's the lumen output that tells you the brightness. The watts just tell you how much of a load it's putting on your batteries. The higher the number the shorter the runtime.

The only "reasonable" explanation is that they're not saying that the Cree led is 4.7W but rather that it has a Cree led and that the light consumes 4.7 W including the led and the power the driver consumes. I've sent an email to them just to put this to rest.

Last edited:
Here is their (Intova) response to my email.

"We are removing watt rating from all our LED torches because it is
misleading. Not intentionally but watt rating is not appropriate for
LED. We will only rate by lumens once we change website brochure and
packaging."

Here is their (Intova) response to my email.

packaging."

Good news for everyone. :)

Might want to contact Intova and tell them to change their packaging

I'm sure they'll jump right on that for you.

Wow Compudude looks like you were right!:shocked2:
Top marks to them.

packaging."

I just think when people are comparing lights based on specs that they should understand the specs and the specs should be honest. Obviously this is not the case a lot of the time.

I just think when people are comparing lights based on specs that they should understand the specs and the specs should be honest. Obviously this is not the case a lot of the time.

I hope you realize that I agree with you 100% on this. Honest specs help everyone.

I just went and checked out the Mini at my LDS last weekend. No lanyard, no holes. Hopefully Intova will correct that soon. You can't have a dive light without a means to secure it.

I have three (four but one died), the Compact which is the main one I carry nowadays for day and night OW diving. The black Nova which is the wide angle with the fancy batteries, which I use as my second light for night diving. I also have the silver Nova narrow beam that I bought before the Compact came out. There was a black Nova that I killed. It got flooded and the innards rusted because I didn't tighten the end cap all the way down.

My Princeton-Tec Shockwave LED is pretty much unused nowadays.

I put split rings through the lanyard holes and tie the lanyard/boltsnap to it and boltsnap it to one of my shoulder D-rings then tuck the light into the waist belt. It doesn't get in the way and it doesn't go anywhere unless I pull it out. No need for rubber tubings or other means of containment.

Wow Compudude looks like you were right!:shocked2:
Top marks to them.

The irony is they listed a high wattage as a selling point. But for a dive light you don't want high wattage, that just uses the batteries faster and may indicate low efficiency light.

Adam

I hope you realize that I agree with you 100% on this. Honest specs help everyone.

Hallelujah! :D

LightingFacts.com

by the way one of my pet peeves is people using the wrong units. Lumens is not a measure of brightness. The closest unit would be cd/m^2, but actually there is no direct measurement of brightness, it is too subjective.

Back
Top Bottom