Irresponsible diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it seems like the DM went against what you know then that is how you have been trained. To some that where trained before octos/bcd's etc... they seem to have a different perspective on gear. I dove with a guy yesterday that was trained orignally in the the early 70's and he talked about gear different than the people I know that have been diving for 5-10 years.

D/Ms know what they are getting themselves into. They are accomplished divers. If I were you, I would not imitate him, however, until you also have become a D/M.
It depends ... you can become a DM with very little experience ... all it takes is 60 dives. That's barely enough time for a lot of people to start getting comfortable with the skills they learned in OW class ... especially when the dive shop pushes you from class to class with little to no time in between for actual diving experience.

Given the facts as presented, I would question this DM's judgment ... and therefore his fitness to be a DM. Chances are quite high that he DIDN'T know what he was getting himself into.

I wouldn't imitate him at all ... most accomplished divers became that way by not taking unnecessary risks.

At a minimum, he was setting a bad example.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last weekend I went on a shore side organized by a LDS. They had one of their DMs there to collect our ten bucks....
Ten bucks for an LDS organized shore dive??

Well, that would be my first red flag. Some shops give free air on shop dive day. Some bring a big pot of chili. Dives organized by the LDS bring revenue into the shop.

And that may be why the dive was attended by new divers.

As we like to say in my line of work: "You can't teach common sense, and you can't fix stupid."

One Point to consider:

When you are an instructor, and you are diving with students, who's your buddy? Instructors always dive solo. That is less true for DMs but...

Ten bucks for an LDS organized shore dive??
Bad decisions aside...

In this case the $10 got the new diver a set of loaner gear to go diving with and an organized trip. Mentors can be hard to find sometimes, especially for new divers with high air consumption.

I am curious, how deep did the DM go? Was he just jumping in to get wet? I mean he could of just been going as deep as you would if freediving.

My 2 cents FWIW: It was nice of him to lend his gear out. From the original thread, the DM was there to collect the $$ and help the divers. IMHO since it appears that he was acting in a professional capacity, he was totally wrong in going diving on his own, solo or otherwise. Especially with malfunctioning equipment. Sets a real bad example to new divers, PLUS he may have violated some DM standards by doing so. If he wanted to go diving, he should have waited till after the event and his professional duties were discharged. Then he is on is own to do what he wants, but if he is doing things within sight of other divers, he still has to be careful of what he is doing.
Safe Diving,
George

Back
Top Bottom