Is $145 normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 tanks inshore trips out of PCB currently cost about $70. Offshore $85. Offshore is maybe 11 or so miles out of the pass.

The O is 25 miles each way. At $145 you're looking at less than double the cost of an offshore trip in PCB. The fuel costs are part of it, not unusual for a dive boat to get 1 to 2 MPG. The time is another, as someone else noted a boat making a run to the O isn't making 2 trips per day.

I know a couple of people with private boats who dive it. Even splitting actual costs for that, with no crew being paid & the owner getting nothing but each divers share of the gas costs it'll cost me most of $100 to ride share. And he's not eating the insurance premium a commercial charter or 6 pack has, nor paying any crew, nor making a profit at all.

Empty V:
Man I wish I knew that before. Do you have to provide the tanks?

Billy

Depends on the charter, some do provide tanks(despite popular belief - definately not the norm in this region), some don't. You'll likely not have alot of options as far as size of tanks, regardless.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Depends on the charter, some do provide tanks(despite popular belief - definately not the norm in this region), some don't. You'll likely not have alot of options as far as size of tanks, regardless.

I know a few ops that will get the tank rentals (usually from MBT) and have them on the boat for you but you pay the extra tank rental cost. Are you saying that there are ops that *include* tanks in the charter price? Talking about Oriskany charters.

ReefHound:
I know a few ops that will get the tank rentals (usually from MBT) and have them on the boat for you but you pay the extra tank rental cost. Are you saying that there are ops that *include* tanks in the charter price? Talking about Oriskany charters.

Dunno

http://southernoffshoreadventures.com/

They claim to provide tanks and weights, but I'm not clear if its an extra charge to do so.

I have my own tanks and live close, so not much of a benefit for me.

Looking at their rates page, they are clearly charging for the tanks, just using semantics to suggest it is included. They say tanks on charters are $11 air and $15 nitrox. For Oriskany walkon they list two rates, $172 includes tanks and $150 without tanks. Nitrox upgrade is additional $4. So their rates are essentially the same as everybody else's but it is nice that they will have the tanks (or anything else you rent) on board and waiting for you.

I noticed that too when I checked out their site. I have heard that it is a great charter boat though....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom