Is a bottom timer or gauge-mode compatible computer mandatory for GUE Rec courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learning to average your depth is pretty important.

That whole 'not relying on a special piece of gear' thing.

Average depth is also used for min deco determinations.

Here's a shelf with my Zoop, Vyper, Petrel and xDeep and in this corner is the 30lb wing with steel plates and the 17lb wing on a Kydex plate and ...."

Yup. You should see our basement!

Yes, that's mainly what average depth is used for in Fundies class. But really, you can just use estimates. And since you're probably spending nearly the entire training dive at a single depth, the estimate is pretty easy. The goal is simply to teach people how to calculate SAC (or Surface Consumption Rate (SCR) as I believe GUE refers to it) for their dives. If you already know how, you're ahead of the game.
Yeah, I'm a data nerd and have been tracking my SAC since my OW dives. The numbers are ... uh ... not impressive. Until that improves, my official party line is "I'm sure improving my technique will help but, really, I just have big lungs"

Learning to average your depth is pretty important.
Not trying to turn this into a tutorial on average depth calculation but is this something you would be able to do based on the dive plan?

Best,
elgoog

elgoog, enjoy your classes! I am going to post a Fundies report on the class my wife and I did recently. We had a great time and learned a lot.

By the way, if you have gear questions, don't hesitate to ask your instructor. Now that I think about it, we asked just such questions. Also, on the first day of class the instructor will have you spread your gear on the floor, look it over, and tell you if anything needs to be changed--it's part of the class. Again, you seem to be ahead of the curve. Believe it or not, I overheard "I don't think I want to do the long hose thing." The short hose in question was duly replaced with a long hose before Fundies class began in earnest. Sounds like you have your gear well in hand.

Last edited:
I wore an Aladin Prime with no gauge mode during Fundies. Then learned 1/2 way through that a seconds timer is nice to have for the ascent :). Have a great class ;-)! Please post a class report and let us know how it goes!
[h=1][/h]

I'd be willing to bet that the work on buoyancy, trim, and propulsion that you will do in Fundies will make a difference in that SAC rate . . . Although it may skyrocket during the class itself!

Please post a class report and let us know how it goes!
Will do. I'm targeting beginning of 2015 for the Primer and end of that year for Fundies, with a lot of diving in the middle to practice the basic skills learned.
Side note - We might actually end up in Cozumel right around the same time as SB Invasion 2015 and I intend to dive my frickin' face off there :)

I'd be willing to bet that the work on buoyancy, trim, and propulsion that you will do in Fundies will make a difference in that SAC rate . . . Although it may skyrocket during the class itself!
Yeah, all the reports I've read indicate is one of the most intense rec classes out there. Totally looking forward to getting my behind handed to me.

Yeah, I'm a data nerd and have been tracking my SAC since my OW dives. The numbers are ... uh ... not impressive. Until that improves, my official party line is "I'm sure improving my technique will help but, really, I just have big lungs"

elgoog

elgoog- I'm laughing because this is EXACTLY what i've been saying!! LOL Good luck on your path. I'm doing the same thing you are right now and "plotting my entry" into GUE Fundies. I'm just frustrated I didn't do this research on the gear until 2 months after buying all my stuff. :-/

Kevin

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom