Is a dive boat useful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7

Contributor
Reaction score
Kind of a long rambling multi part question.

Sounds like an obvious yes to most divers, but when I stop and think about it, I don't think id feel comfortable leaving the boat alone on the surface alone, which would mean someone would likely have to stay topside, and being located on the border of MN and WI just across from St. Paul I really don't have anywhere to dive thats boatable except the great lakes and theyre all the way across the state.

The only pro's I could see would be the freedom of movement without schedules and being able to avoid the walking disasters often found on charters. I figure the lack of charter fee's is cancelled out by the fuel cost of towing it, though its also a ghetto camper so id probably not hafta pay for a room either.

I have a boat already actually for other reasons, mainly crusing up and down the St. Croix river which connects to the mississippi (both of which are a constant zero viz btw)
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,160,00.html
I bought it without a motor and fixed it up and I really love it to death, I got a humminbird 987c SI sonar imager for it for less than half of retail with the gps and weather sense so I could tool around mowing the lawn for targets and dive on whatevers interesting.
Problem is I can't seem to figure out how to get in and out of it with ease. I could make it in myself with a tank I think but I am doubting many others could, so I need to come up with some way to get people in and out. I thought maybe a dive ladder over the side or a platform on the back with something built over the splash well to step on, but I dunno. People might just have to remove their weights and tanks and thats always a pain in the ***.
I'm not even sure its capable of taking on the great lakes, its got 2 18 gallon fuel tanks for a damn 90 hp so its capable of going for a good long while, and the sides are high enough to keep the water out.
It does have an interesting tendency to "frolick" in decent waves though, I don't think id appreciate anything larger than 4 feet.
Maybe I need to water test it up there some time, ive never even boated on the great lakes cept for a big ferry once.
BTW this isnt a "is a boat useful" question, we're already past that waypoint, I just wonder if adding the parts to make it a dive boat would be worth it or if it would never get used. I am a marine mechanic too so reliability isnt an issue, I actually carry ignition spares and a fuel pump rebuild kit on board with my whole tool box coming along.

Any thoughts?

I cannot imagine that a marine mechanic would not be able to figure out how to get in and out. Put a small platform on the right rear and dive ladder. It is not that much of a pain to remove gear in the water but I prefer to put it on in the boat. That boat looks plenty big but I know it is also light, as I am pretty sure your the one I told of my past experience with aluminum boats. But, it looks good and it floats so why not give it a try.

Yes, the 987c is great, I have one also and it works wonderfully.

Have fun. Start small and learn the conditions and then work out to further areas. N

84CJ7:
I thought maybe a dive ladder over the side or a platform on the back with something built over the splash well to step on, but I dunno. People might just have to remove their weights and tanks and thats always a pain in the ***.

Any thoughts?
90% of my dives involve removing BC and weights in the water before reboarding. Its as simple as undoing 3 clips.
A pain in the @$$ is having to walk up a ladder with 50kgs extra weight on my back.
I also put my BC on in the water 50% of the time.

Get a ladder. Its well worth it.

My boat goes where I want, when I want, with who I want to go with. That makes it
more than worth it.

Your boat has relatively high gunwales, so a ladder will be necessary even with tank
and weights off, unless the diver is also a gymnast.

And if they aren't comfortable taking their tank off in the water, you don't want them
on your boat anyway, they will have other issues.

I don't think id ever consider using it without a ladder or something.
I think I remember the good suggestions on the drawbacks of light aluminum before, but the ability to easily tow and move it around balances that out. I can actually just shove it over when it gets on the trailer crooked.

Adding a ladder or platform is well withing my abilities, but anything on the sides has to go over the top of the boats fins and then the diver would have to avoid stepping on the gas tanks as they come over the side, plus it probably couldn't be permanantly mounted. Anything on the rear would have a bit of a gap to cross where the splash well and batteries are and the rear bench is fiberglass so it would make a big slippery step, maybe some grip tape there or even bedliner. I just wondered what people thought of the idea. Its like crawling over rocks to get in the thing no matter which way I go.
Thanks for the input.

Saw your boat. Getting a shorter prop pitch will help you gaining speed (engine shall reach max rpm). Moving petrol tanks in the back might also help. Triming up as well.
But 35mph that is already enough to knock the bud.
You would need a platform to help diving.

A good ladder is worth it's weight in gold. I use a Garelik 4 step SS X-mas tree ladder. The mounting allows you to remove the ladder of course. It is so much more convenient than taking your gear off at the surface and bending over the side of your boat to pick it up. Better on the back to walk up than to bend down and lift it up. Lifting the gear will also more likely scratch the sides.

--Matt

What is the issue with leaving your boat unattended?

not sure on your boat post a pic?
I made my ladder easy a T ladder sweet $30.00 parts 1 hour time andd dit takes my tec diver pals doubles and all walk right out,stay away from the over the side ladder they tend to kick under boat or you have to take your gear off,can be done as I do on a pals rig but man a new diver should have a easy out,
Great lake are fun to dive, but need to keep a eye on things she can go from nice to mean in a heart beat!
Man I would only have 70 dives in by now if I just did charters fun but$$$ and welll the crap that goes with other divers,
As said by a good dive pal a boat is just a extension of your dive gear, used about the cost of a good tec rig and classes,
bad bum!
Dive safe,
Brad

Back
Top Bottom