Is anyone second guessing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about 5 bucks for a finger bag?

actually our state dept has issued warnings for several areas, including the area near cancun. a guard in the supermarket was murdered on coz recently.the body of the governor of quintana roo was found rolled up in a rug in a vacant lot next to the scuba club a few years back. i saw newt gingrich talking about this on tv recently. he said there are more violent deaths in mx than iraq. our military is preparing for a possible sudden implosion of mexico's national govt.
we tend to see this as a mexican problem. they want us to see the role drug demand from the north and readily available assault weapons in texas and arizona play. the estimated revenue to mexican druglords smuggling into the usa is $32b us. i would not be surprised if that is far above the govt's ability to spend on anti drug gang efforts there.
does this mean i will stop going? no! but i will not deny the facts. things could unravel very rapidly.

the body of the governor of quintana roo was found rolled up in a rug in a vacant lot next to the scuba club a few years back.

In Cozumel?

:rofl3:I can't believe you remember that far back....now those were the days:wink: are we that close in age:wink:

I had to explain what a bong was to my 65 year-old boss today. Then he asked how I knew what it was...:wink:

si on coz.

Are you sure? According to Wikipedia, every governor of Quintana Roo since statehood (1975) is still alive.

si on coz.

I just did a pretty extensive search. The only thing I could find was a report of a known drug dealer killed last June. The report said it was the first known drug-related killing in the history of Cozumel.

Can you provide a link to the source of your information?

Nope. Not even a little bit. Just booked my trip for March 30 - April 4th. Couldn't be happier. Its already been said in this thread, but once again... Its like saying Michigan isn't safe to visit due to crime in Detroit, Flint, Sagiaw, ect.

my information comes from over on the travelnotes cozumel discussion board which is frequented by ex pats who live there at least half time. all of them btw still feel safe.
on the subject of police, they are very positive about the local police (brown uniforms). however, there have been incidents with the federales now on the island (black uniforms). the federales are apparently stopping gringos on minor traffic violations and shaking them down. one incident reported a policeman pointing an automatic weapon at a person for having an unfastened seatbelt. the advice if you get stopped by a federale is to insist on being taken immediately to the police station. the federales have zero authority to enforce traffic violations.
the incident of the murder at a supermarket was reported within the last couple weeks if i remember correctly.
the last 2 times i was on the island, there was a skinny little guy with a motorcycle hawking drugs out of a parking lot across from aldora. my buddy who is in us federal law enforcement and fluent in spanish scared the piss out of the guy.
will try to google up quintana roo governor murdered.

google search turns up no story of governor being killed on coz. it does turn up stories of a governor being convicted of murder and another of a cancun chief of police being convicted of murdering a general. also governors guards murdered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom