Is ArmorAll okay to put on Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll loose your traction, don't do it!

Actually I read somewhere that suntan lotion coming off of swimmers and snorklers does kill some marine animals.

I bought a pair of used Jetfins for my dauther. They were covered in a cruddy whitish film. I used scouring powder on them and they turned a very nice black matte finish.

You can try rubbing them with neutral shoe polish. It contains some petroleum that will evaporate and Carnauba wax. After that put them in a display case for all to see but not back in the water. :eyebrow:

Ok, normally I wouldn't criticize, but Armor All!! Really! This is the hardest I've laughed in a while!

OK...maybe not armor all...but these are rubber-based items. Keeping them flexible and conditioned, I would think, would be a GOOD thing.

So what would one use?

Back in the 70's when I was going through OW. Armor all was recommended to protect the rubber parts from cracking. I used to use it all the time. now with silicone as the main ingredient I don't bother anymore.

cleaning with a good scrub brush will remove the film, if you have to use something for rubber or latex (not your fins, at least not the bottoms .. I've done the inside of my foot pocket, makes donning the fins much easier) use only food grade (100% water soluble) silicone .. you can see this by the ads or by the MSDS sheet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom