Is it a bad idea to dive with NO ditchable weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't read all this thread - no time. But to address the original question, YES it is a bad idea not to have ditchable weight UNLESS you have adequate redundancy in your buoyancy.

That said, PADI's assertion that the most important characteristic of any weight system is that it can be easily ditched is patently absurd. I have never come across an incident where not being able to dump weight was a factor. However, I have several times seen incidents caused by premature release of weights. Using a conventional weight belt with a dry suit was a factor is some of these.

My personal practice is to use BC-integrated weights for recreational warm water diving, and an over-the-shoulder weight harness when using a drysuit. I have no objection to storing weights in ordinary pockets so log as they can be securely closed - it's quite easy to remove weights should the need arise. Though I've never had to do that, nor have I come across any experienced diver who needed to do it.

It is the nature of half trained, unskilled individuals to panic when faced with situations that they have not drilled for. It is the nature of well trained, fully skilled individuals to perform in the fashion that they have been trained when faced with situations that they'd trained for. That's virtually a tautology. I submit, for careful consideration, that you are predicting behavior for individuals that fall into the former, rather than the later case. Why you are doing that I do not know.

Because a majority of recreational divers fall into the former. There are several instructors out there that are trying to create more of the latter, but we're just not having enough of an impact.

Because a majority of recreational divers fall into the former. There are several instructors out there that are trying to create more of the latter, but we're just not having enough of an impact.
Then let's be up front about it.

If you have not been taught and practiced dropping your weightbelt and making a flared ascent then you should consider not using any dropable weight until you have received adequate instruction in the technique.

Here comes the Weightbelt Specialty Course ... who-hoo! First buoyancy training becomes a separately priced product and now weightbelt dropping. Gotta' love it.:rofl3:

Here comes the Weightbelt Specialty Course ... who-hoo! First buoyancy training becomes a separately priced product and now weightbelt dropping. Gotta' love it.:rofl3:

Weightbelt Specialty Course...

I'll write that up this week and submit it to PADI... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom