Is the BP/W really the best BCD for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever you think is most comfortable. I like BPW (harness closer to old school), my wife doesnt, dives jacket

I agree that the deep bend of a doubles plate isn't necessary for a singles plate -- which is why the DSS plates have a shallower bend. But if you are going to use an STA, you need someplace for the wing nuts to sit that doesn't dig into your back. If you are going to use something like the DSS thingamabobs that hold the wing to the plate, you need someplace for those to sit. The only way you can have a perfectly flat plate is if you are only using cambands to stabilize the wing, which I don't like as much because I have to ensure the wing is straight each time I mount the tank on it.

Those of us who dive in cold water are LOOKING for ways to incorporate as much weight as possible into the gear we have to use anyway, so we don't have to carry so much in belts or pouches.

An Aluminum or Kydex plate weighs very little, and is not hard on the luggage. :)

Actually you can have a totally flat plate or one so close to flat it does not matter:

P6020712_zpsb5c214fe.jpg

My early (experimental) version of the Freedom Plate has countersunk holes for use with the STA is one is used. Not needed if just running the cam bands through the plates:

DSCF0025.jpg

Of course, the VDH universal plate here has provisions for tee nuts but they are not needed because the cam bands secure the tank and wing:

IMG_20130111_230249.jpg

Sometimes my wife might hate me, here I took her favorite BC apart and built a mini plate into it. After she tried it she decided it was "okay":

DSCF0002.jpg

Notice that back in the old days there were plates for singles and plates for doubles and believe it or not, most were rigged in use with what is now called a single piece harness:

VoitSnugpack_zps5857e733.jpg

Well, looky here:

02plate.jpg

There is the box and then there is outside the box.

N

I prefer the BPW setup because it makes me think a little more about where I put things and how I'd access them if the proverbial hit the fan. Conventional BCD's tend to dictate where you can have your d-rings/pockets/clips and whilst that's good for a beginner I think the thought process that's required to set up the BPW system is beneficial.

I'm also a cheap date and a BPW tends to be more economical on a cost/quality ratio.

So one might say early backplates evolved into full-featured modern BCs, and now there's a movement by rec divers to come full-circle back to simple backplates. Are such rec divers analogous to the urban hipsters who now ride fixed-gear bicycles ("fixies") for the sake of "simplicity," fewer failure points, and to be part of some sort of subculture or movement? The freewheel and switchable gears were pretty good inventions.

So one might say early backplates evolved into full-featured modern BCs, and now there's a movement by rec divers to come full-circle back to simple backplates. Are such rec divers analogous to the urban hipsters who now ride fixed-gear bicycles ("fixies") for the sake of "simplicity," fewer failure points, and to be part of some sort of subculture or movement? The freewheel and switchable gears were pretty good inventions.

Dunno about hipsters, but your analogy doesn't hold.

Bikes with gears are a technological advance that let you do something that fixies don't. Totally different with BCs. There is nothing that you can do with a jacket BC that you can't do with a BP/W. Just the reverse - you can dive a BP/W in environments appropriate for any jacket BC, but you can also adapt them to diving that would not be appropriate for a jacket (like using double tanks).

... now there's a movement by rec divers to come full-circle back to simple backplates. Are such rec divers analogous to the urban hipsters who now ride fixed-gear bicycles ("fixies") for the sake of "simplicity," fewer failure points, and to be part of some sort of subculture or movement?
Yeah, something like that.

nope.. as doctormike pointed out... the switchable gears etc where invented for technological reason, be it easier operation or better performance...

most traditioanl BCD's add fluff (padding etc) that really isn't necessary and are not adjustable/optional... it can also be argued that "changes" in BCD were mainly done for marketing purposes and increasing sales.. .something to stimulate the market...
with that being said you are now likely to see tranditional bcd manufacturers introducing features of the bp/w to increase sales as well :)

Dunno about hipsters, but your analogy doesn't hold.

Bikes with gears are a technological advance that let you do something that fixies don't. Totally different with BCs. There is nothing that you can do with a jacket BC that you can't do with a BP/W. Just the reverse - you can dive a BP/W in environments appropriate for any jacket BC, but you can also adapt them to diving that would not be appropriate for a jacket (like using double tanks).

I thought the OP was questioning the extent of the benefits of a BP/W over a jacket BC for recreational single-tank diving only. You CAN dive a BP/W in environments where a jacket BC has long been the most popular type, but are there significant benefits over a jacket BC for that?

The fixie-bike analogy is admittedly weak, but it was an interesting thought. Padding, adjustments, quick releases, wraparound bladders, etc., could be argued to be improvements for recreational diving over bare-bones plates from the '50s and '60s. Now some rec divers are beginning to believe that while these features may have some utility they are largely unnecessary and maybe, dare I say, uncool. It does bring to mind the people who are ditching bikes with selectable gears and freewheels in favor of fixie bikes.

I thought the OP was questioning the extent of the benefits of a BP/W over a jacket BC for recreational single-tank diving only. You CAN dive a BP/W in environments where a jacket BC has long been the most popular type, but are there significant benefits over a jacket BC for that?

Yes. See above, and the previous 1000 threads that cover this. While you might not agree with all of these points as benefits, they certainly have been made in this forum!

:)

The fixie-bike analogy is admittedly weak, but it was an interesting thought. Padding, adjustments, quick releases, wraparound bladders, etc., could be argued to be improvements for recreational diving over bare-bones plates from the '50s and '60s. Now some rec divers are beginning to believe that while these features may have some utility they are largely unnecessary and maybe, dare I say, uncool. It does bring to mind the people who are ditching bikes with selectable gears and freewheels in favor of fixie bikes.

Yup, I agree, interesting. As far as improvements go, you can certainly incorporate padding into a BP/W, you can add a quick release, and you can adjust it just fine, either with the triglides or with the cinch systems. Many BP/W divers would not consider these to be improvements, but there you go, as my father used to say, "that's what makes horse races".

I'm not sure how wraparound bladders would be considered an improvement, but I guess if someone really wants a jacket BC because the wing extends in front of the diver, then a BP/W would not be for that person.

Back
Top Bottom