Is the P-valve really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, thanks for all the replies guys...I don't think there was one person in there who preferred not having one to having one, so I guess that settles it.

I was going to dive Monterey today since it's a lake, but I was lazy and slept in, so guess I'll head over to the dive shop and send my suit to DUI to get the P-valve installed.

Yes, I know it can be done very easily with the proper tools and patience by myself, however, I have neither any tools nor any patience. Plus I'm fairly destructive, and that's a bad combination with a $3,000 dry suit. I'd probably cut the hole too big accidentally or something. :p

Last edited:
BTW, you almost certainly will have "malfunctions". Urine is sterile. Wash your undergarments promptly, and you're good to go (so to speak).

Best $100 I ever spent in dive gear. That says a lot considering I have a walk in closet full of gear.

BTW, you almost certainly will have "malfunctions". Urine is sterile. Wash your undergarments promptly, and you're good to go (so to speak).

That brings to mind a good question. For when malfunctions do happen, the liner is simple enough to clean, but how do you clean the inside of a dry suit anyway without screwing it up? Just soak it like the other gear and hang it to dry when you're done?

just a thought on an alternative.. if you wear adult diapers would they get cold after awile making the diver cold too?
I found it to chill me a bit. That is why I just spent the money and got the valve, besides that fact of wearing a diaper was not too appealing. I would rather slip on a rubber than to walk around in a diaper.

If you have an "accident", turn the dry suit inside out as far as you can and hose it off. I have yet to be forced to release enough urine to get the insides of my boots wet :)

I regularly spray out the inside of my drysuit. I've never *knock on wood* had a p-valve malfunction, but it does get stinky from sweating.

On another sicker note, I've actually come to like the "removal" process. Its a great mental exercise. Just go to your happy place, get the process started, then *RIIIIIIIIP* it off like a bandaid. Guess I'm a bit of a masochist these days.

Yes it's well worth the effort, even for gals :). So nice not to be forced to time hydration or take drysuit on/off on SI's. Especially on boats.

Another vote for the ballanced Halcyon Pee Valve!

I regularly spray out the inside of my drysuit. I've never *knock on wood* had a p-valve malfunction, but it does get stinky from sweating.

On another sicker note, I've actually come to like the "removal" process. Its a great mental exercise. Just go to your happy place, get the process started, then *RIIIIIIIIP* it off like a bandaid. Guess I'm a bit of a masochist these days.

You sir have issues. :rofl3:

If you have an "accident", turn the dry suit inside out as far as you can and hose it off. I have yet to be forced to release enough urine to get the insides of my boots wet :)

Ok, thanks...that's simple enough. Even a guy like me can handle that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom