Is there a best time to go to Tobago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Hipkiss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I think my wife and I have pretty much decided to head on over to Tobago for a couple of weeks in the next twelve months, the question is though, when is the best time?

One week I think almost certainly will be spent on the Wind Dancer and the other on land somewhere.

In terms of diving then I guess the pelagics are our greatest interest. Viz would be nice but having got used to very low viz in the UK, it's not a huge issue ... nor is bouncy seas, nor strong currents (have I mentioned we want pelagics!). Would May be good or are there better times?

Any thoughts please.

Andy Hipkiss:
Hi all,

I think my wife and I have pretty much decided to head on over to Tobago for a couple of weeks in the next twelve months, the question is though, when is the best time?

One week I think almost certainly will be spent on the Wind Dancer and the other on land somewhere.

In terms of diving then I guess the pelagics are our greatest interest. Viz would be nice but having got used to very low viz in the UK, it's not a huge issue ... nor is bouncy seas, nor strong currents (have I mentioned we want pelagics!). Would May be good or are there better times?

Any thoughts please.

Andy, I've not been to Tobago, but I'll offer an opinion on Carribean timing in general. Several of my trips have been May - Bahamas, Cozumel 1st time, Antigua - and several have been Aug-Sep. I did spend a lot more time worried about travel problem & vacation interruption before the later trips (and rightfully so, TS Arlene is fairly early). Th weather was nice for all of the trips but not so oppressively hot and muggy in May.

HTH.

Thanks both ... it looks like Feb is a good time to go. Just trying to sort out a week on the Wind Dancer now. First time to the Caribbean, looking forward to it!

Andy Hipkiss:
Thanks both ... it looks like Feb is a good time to go. Just trying to sort out a week on the Wind Dancer now. First time to the Caribbean, looking forward to it!

I've been on the Wind Dancer in Grand Turk. This is one really nice Boat. Have a Great Trip!

Andy Hipkiss:
Hi all,

Any thoughts please.

Andy January to about early June is the periiod with the least rain ie better viz etc. You can also communicate with a number of dive shops out in Tobago my favorite is Frontier Divers, they have a web site whose URL is www.frontierdiverstt.com I agree with your choice of Feb and you can probably pop over to Trinidad for the Carnival. Truth be told though May is also good except that I think sea states are a little rough then. I stand to be corrected. Have fun.

Excellent :D Looks like a plan. Time to use some of the BA Airmiles that I've collected. Utter pain that BA hardly fly to any decent diving destinations , grumble grumble. Still it looks like Tobago is hardly slumming it!

Really appreciate the input as I've never dived in the Caribbean before, been to the Keys and Tampa Bay but not further south in that bit of the world.

Andy Hipkiss:
Excellent :D Looks like a plan. Time to use some of the BA Airmiles that I've collected. Utter pain that BA hardly fly to any decent diving destinations , grumble grumble. Still it looks like Tobago is hardly slumming it!

Really appreciate the input as I've never dived in the Caribbean before, been to the Keys and Tampa Bay but not further south in that bit of the world.

You do know that BA flies to Tobago? You also have a reasonably wide choice of shore accomodation from very good B&B's to a relatively new Hilton Hotel. If you do get a chance take a drive around the island. Have fun.

I just finished a trip to Tobago in May. PHD Wave Dancer was as nice as it can be. The crew was wonderful.

Tobago is high intensity diving. Currents are the norm, so drift diving is what happens. Some dives are into ripping currents but were well planned for. Sister's Rocks was fantastic! No much curent this time but it can happen.

As to rocking boats, winds and waves are here. We had up to six footers but never dove in them. There is not much ashore in Tobago and Scarsbough harbor is probably too dangerous to venture out into at night.

Big stuff happens here too but this is usually from November to April. This also corresponds to probably the least aggreeable weather situations.

heavy roller:
You do know that BA flies to Tobago?

Indeed ... hence the interest in Tobago :D

Teasingly BA mentions Hawaii but offer no miles seats and they used to mention the Maldives, again without flights to support it ... grrr. It is almost possible to get flights to the Caymans but I could only find one suitable return trip which was out on the Saturday and back on the Sunday ... hmmm now that's what I call a long weekend! Old ole BA :censored:

I have been to the Seychelles a couple of times and the islands are wonderful but the inner island reefs are suffering from repeated El Nino events leaving the diving a bit poor.

Anyway, having gone a bit research mad over that last couple of weeks, it really does appear that Tobago is going to offer a great diving holiday so I guess I have to take it all back ... I love BA, I do :07:

Flights are now booked for Feb ... now the fun of trying to find a great deal on staying on the Wind Dancer for a week ... any thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom