Is there a shoulder entry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was diving off an inflatable and noticed the DM used what seemed to be a shoulder entry. Kind of like he dove shoulder first into the water. We all did roll off entries and I was under the water a few feet so did not see his entry clearly.

Anyone familiar with this sort of entry? Benefits or drawbacks to using it?

Thanks

The front roll was a common entry method listed in several vintage diving books, all written by very respected people. I still use it sometimes but the agency thumpers and neophytes will tell you:

"You're gonna die!"

I'd like to see someone do a "Mike Nelson" entry. He would sometimes jump, fully kitted, over the railing of his boat and do a front somersault into water, tank first.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'd call it a roll over dive; you dont really end up all the way around, more like on your back. Then you have to use hands &/or fins to get into diving position.

I used to do it every now and then off a small 6-pac I guided for; the Captain whined all the time that I wasn't a good example for the guests. I don't think he was whining about going in with fins in hand.

If you do that one, negative, without turning your tank on, it just might kill ya! :)

I always jump in with fins in hand (not a giant stride but a moderate step) but I check obsessively that my air is on. I am only about 3 lbs. negative and find (through trying it out) that I can make it to the surface without fins if necessary.

There are many different ways to enter the water, usually the easiest is best, although sometimes it comes down to personal preference. My preferred entry is a forward roll, but most of my customers find a giant stride easier. I have had customers doing backwards jumps, donning kit in the water, backwards rolls etc etc etc. I usually find that they do the entry they were taught in the open water course. When I teach Open Water, I teach as many different entries as the conditions allow.

However, you may come across a situation where you need to do a different entry, especially when working with disabled divers. I have a very good friend who is confined to a wheelchair, we go diving together regularly. You should see some peoples faces when we tip him out of his chair into the water and throw his gear in after him!

Dive safe all

I get into the water any freaking way I can, giant stride, small step, backwards, heck I've even slipped but I don't like to talk about that one, what I haven't done is that crazy 8 foot step I've seen people do off the pier, just can't see myself doing that.

Affectionately known off of New Jersey as the Jersey Flop.

Was diving off an inflatable and noticed the DM used what seemed to be a shoulder entry. Kind of like he dove shoulder first into the water. We all did roll off entries and I was under the water a few feet so did not see his entry clearly.

Anyone familiar with this sort of entry? Benefits or drawbacks to using it?

Thanks

It is the front roll entry. Easy to do and it works well from small boats and inflatables. When done correctly you enter actually on your back, tank enters first, do a half twist to right side up and head down and start kicking.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom