Is there a situation in which you would intentionally remove your mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one time that nothing would stop that mask from flooding. I must have had some hair or a portion of my hood in the wrong place so after several attempts to check the mask skirt and purge it just would not stay dry so I just took it off and started over and sure enough what ever the issue was it was solved. lesson learned was that sometimes it is better just to stop and start over rather than fight the issue.
I hate leaks, and don't normally have to clear my mask during a dive. Since my hood covers part of my mask I can't clear hair and stuff out of the skirt, I find it easier and colder, to remove my mask and start over. Never thought of it as big deal, just cold. In warm water I have no problem opening my eyes, and hanging out without a mask on. I do carry a backup mask...just in case.

Add me to the list of those who "got something in an eye"- in my case some deet in a sunscreen I unfortunately used without reading the label. I removed my mask at depth to literally "wash my face." The dive improved alot after that. I have also have removed my mask on a couple of occasions for a photo op. I suspect others have too, many to execute a kiss or other maneuver for the befit of the photographer or videographer. Fess up, everyone!
DivemasterDennis

Nosebleed... One of those "fill the mask in one exhale kinda nosebleeds"....

My buddy nearly wet herself :wink:

(Oh.. and not recommended at 18m... resulted in inverted sinussqueeze and 6 hrs of agonizing headache...)

I sometimes take the mask off and put it back on, upside down and clear it..just to see if I get any reaction from the students..sometimes remove to swim around a bit and return to boat with it hidden in a pocket somewhere, just to complain to boat captain that the visibility on his/her choosen location is awfull and that I am pissed off about it...Tell them that to see if anyone noticed I did alot of the dive with no mask on..

I was a co-instructor in a class once and the lead instructor who was doing that part of the class had his mask strap break. I pulled off my mask and handed it to him so he could continue before surfacing to get one of the guys topside to bring me a spare mask. Masks break, most of the time when you're not planning on it. :wink:

When I feel my mask bubbling up on the inside, I know it's time to take it off and clear the nose. Sorry to be so graphic but scuba makes some noses extra juicy. Rather clear it before I have to take it off on the boat.

When I feel my mask bubbling up on the inside, I know it's time to take it off and clear the nose. Sorry to be so graphic but scuba makes some noses extra juicy. Rather clear it before I have to take it off on the boat.

Why bother clearing out the mask before getting back on the boat? You would be surpised at how the other divers seem to get out of your way and let you sit down, when you have a bunch of flim hanging from your nose. Just an observation I have heard from a "friend".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom