Is there one book out there recommended as the "bible" of Scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Triple +++ on Certified Diver. It's what I've kept on the back of the toilet for the last 5 yrs.
I don't mean that in a sarcastic manner. I love glancing through and referencing for a few minutes at a time. Reminds me of a piece of diving on a regular (you should forgive the term) basis.

GUE's new rec manual (Beginning with the End in Mind, I believe) is pretty sweet. If thumbed through it and read a few sections in-depth, and I was impressed.

I'd second the NAUI Master Diver book. You don't have to take the course but the info in it is great. I'm doing a double master. Taking the PADI one by default pretty quick but am also going to do the NAUI Master Course too

I would agree that the GUE Rec 1 book is very nice. Lovely illustrations, too.

While neither is a training manual, I'd 2'nd the recommendation for the The Certified Diver's Handbook and also add that the NAUI Master Scuba Diver Manual (intended for the course) is a good one for someone wanting to develop a more in-depth (no pun intended) knowledge of general recreational scuba diving topics. Even gets into calculating what size lift bag you'd need to use to get something of known mass off the bottom.

Richard.

I found all of NAUI's material very informative as I took them all. Each higher level course just added more and more layers of new material on top of what I had already learned.

I think people need to just advance in their training, which may give them that "i want to learn more" knowledge they are looking for.
But on that note... for just reading... you can find many higher level course material on amazon, ebay, craigslist for cheap reading.

Check out the NOAA book in scuba, it's a "must have" bible of diving

[video]http://www.amazon.com/NOAA-Diving-Manual-Science-Technology/dp/0941332705[/video]

I'm a new diver and bought this. I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm happy I got it and think it's fantastic.

x2 on the US Navy Dive Manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom