Island Divers revisited...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
So after several PMs from Matt about the last thread, I tried one more time today to give them a chance. Walked in looking for BP screws. I seem to have misplaced half of mine. I hear people talking in the office. I'm in no hurry so I poke around, pricing SPGs, and such. For a couple of minutes. A couple comes in and when they found no one there, went to the office. Seemed to be former students. Cute little blonde comes out and never said a word to me just went to work ever so slowly trying to make the computer work to rent tanks and gear. No 80s available BTW. I stood there for 10 minutes while she tried to figure the computer out. This whole time, not a single word was said to me despite the fact I was there first. I finaly just left, again, for the last time.
Matt, you asked for another chance, you got it and I was treated like crap again.

well.. if you look like you're browsing.. they may wait 'til you turn to ask a question..
also, how would she know if you were there first? did you take a number?
my point is.. you gotta speak up. they can't read your mind..
if they know what you need.. they'll go out of their way to get it for you.

i was in there earlier today too.. all the employees helped me right away..
in fact.. the one you described asked me right when i walked through the door,
"how can i help you?".. then dropped what she was doing to help me.

I was there for 15 minutes, not one word was said to me..... This was the last chance. I will not beg to spend my money. What is realy sad is there is no good LDS on Oahu. BI with 1/10 the people has many good and two great shops.

VBlueV:
well.. if you look like you're browsing.. they may wait 'til you turn to ask a question..

Staff should always greet people. No need to rush right into the "how can I help you" necessarily, but a "hello!" is always needed; even a smile and a head nod will work in some circumstances. Staff must acknowledge people - it's a huge pet peeve of mine...both as a customer and as a business owner.

Greeting each person is not only good manners, but also indicates that you are aware and are ready to help when a question or need arises. Some people don't want to "interrupt" staff members, forgetting that staff members are on site to help! It is the staff's responsibility, not the other way around.

Greet 'em AND say goodbye as they leave...make them know you value that they took the time to come in - who knows, they might just come back.

Sorry you can't find a good local, Wild...hopefully things will change!

VBlueV:

That seems to be a common problem here in Hawaii at retailers, maybe it's common everywhere. It shouldn't be.

Customers should be acknowledged immediately, they don't have to be hounded, but at least greeted and let it be known that you are available if they have any questions or needs. A simple "Hi, let me know if you need anything" or something to that effect can go a long way.

Odd, everytime I have gone to ID, I am greeted friendly and ask if I can be helped.

Not speaking for anyone but myself, when if I go to a shop with a hidden agenda, perhaps others can sense that, and I create whatever outcome I desire.

Let's not waste board time again with suppositions and assumptions on what is good or bad service, should be or shouldn't be, unless you personally experience it.

We can all throw our two cents in and never make sense.

I joined this board to find out whats happening with DIVING, did not need to know whether or not, the salesperson was a "cute little blonde" [offended by this sexist statement, I have three daughters, two of which are blonde, Honor Roll 4.0] perhaps your attitude created this situation, or perhaps you were treated like you treated them.

Either way, I am tired of these types of whiny threads on a DIVING board, if it continues I, and I assume others, will look elsewhere for diving news.

If I want to voyeur this type of information, there is Springer, Oprah and Dr.Phil for those who wish to express their opinions.

I prefer to dive, not whine.

Dont let the door hit you in the butt on the way out....

OOOoo, did I hit a nerve of truth?

Based on your response, my beliefs of you are showing true.

Must be nice to be god's gift to women, and the world. Thank you o' mighty one for lowering yourself to respond.

Nice that you can have a forum such as this to share your wonderfulness with us lowly ones.

Again, I'm going diving, not whining.

OahuDiver:
OOOoo, did I hit a nerve of truth?

It sounds more like you're the one who got hit. WC's absolutely right. There is NEVER an excuse for ignoring a potential customer. If you don't want them to feel like they're being hounded, at least say "Hi, how are you today?" This at least leaves the door open for them to ask questions if they want, or to simply say "Fine, how are you?" if they just want to browse. Any business that won't at least say "Hi" deserves to lose the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom