Its not the size of your sausage.....its how you used it!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot comment on this one, but for the one I use, I inflate it with the octopus.

Got a picture of it ?

MOST DSMBs here have a 1 way non return seal on the bottom, even though you cant see a big hole, putting air into it will fill and seal it.

Thinking about it, ive never seen a delayed without a method for filling in the bottom (unless it has an airplane life vest style small host to blow thorough).

I tend to use my octopus whereas others ive seen use exhaled gas to inflate, both of which put air into the bottom.

My DSMB died on the weekend - the autodump somehow failed so when it got to the surface it was oval shaped, 3x its normal size and all the dayglo nylon had peeled off it making the thing look like a gutted fish.
Ive just bought a new auto inflate which as well as the octo/exhaust fills also has a 0.2l bottle attached so it can be filled by simply opening the button. I havent used the bottle yet as i stuck to what i knew on the weekend.

http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp_Category_117_page_2_recs_10
I couldn't get the picture to copy and paste right. It has a little valve towards the bottom that somewhat resemble the kind of value on blow up pool toys but I couldn't get air in.
Maybe I'll just have to play with it.

(This whole thread can be read so dirty. :eyebrow: )

Thanks

Nay:
http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp_Category_117_page_2_recs_10
I couldn't get the picture to copy and paste right. It has a little valve towards the bottom that somewhat resemble the kind of value on blow up pool toys but I couldn't get air in.
Maybe I'll just have to play with it.

(This whole thread can be read so dirty. :eyebrow: )

Thanks

Looking at that it seems to have a life vest style inflator tube at the bottom. I dive with someone that uses an aircraft left vest as a DSMB/SMB and he inflates his using this method. Its hard enough to inflate on the boat taking some effort but trying to do it underwater involves primary reg removal/replacement and a LOT of blowing force.

MY advice... Buy a proper one :)

R_Deluca:
In cozumel I had the opportunity to watch my buddy deploy his 9ft safety sausage.

I also had the opportunity to untangle my buddy from his 9ft safety sausage on the same dive. :D
good one

cancun mark:
Where I come from, they are called "Divers Condoms"

and they are BIG, XXL.
i know them as elephant condoms as well

I carry 2 orange ones (DiveRite) on offshore dives along with a small reel in a pocket and a larger wreck reel that gets clipped to a D-ring on the opposite side.

They get carried on training dives in fresh water as well.

The two rolls sit end to end across the bottom in surgical tubing loops and the ends touching in the middle are just about over my tailbone.

I can always get to at least one tube and one reel with either hand and nothing sticks out to catch on anything... It's a little tricky, but I can restow either side without too much trouble as well (took some practice to to make it look easy though).

They squash prety flat and ride nicely between the bottoms of doubles and my back or ride to either side of a single tank...

So far, I've only used them for training and for pre-planned drift deco. So far, I've never had to deploy one in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom