Japan Might KILL the world's only White Whale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another interesting note (I am just a storehouse of information)...there is an albino sperm whale calf in the Azores Sea. It was in an issue of National Geographic.

Also, there is a humpback-blue whale calf hybrid swimming around in the South Pacific. There's a picture somewhere of a diver snorkeling with it. Pretty cool looking...it looks like a blue whale with humpback whale pectoral flippers.

Then does that mean Japan and Norway share the same culture? Japan isn't the only country that loves to kill whales for no good reason..

It was upsetting being in Norway last May and seeing a whaling vessel in Lysoysund. When we commented about it to our Norwegian host his response was "Well humans are depleting the bottom of the food chain so we need to harvest whales to balance it", please, worst excuse EVER, I guess halting the rape of the ocean is not an option?.

It was upsetting being in Norway last May and seeing a whaling vessel in Lysoysund. When we commented about it to our Norwegian host his response was "Well humans are depleting the bottom of the food chain so we need to harvest whales to balance it", please, worst excuse EVER, I guess halting the rape of the ocean is not an option?.

Not an especially "nice", nor informed host. One would hope his manners were better on shore! :11:

apan's whaling fleet was set to leave port Sunday for its biggest-ever scientific whale hunt in the South Pacific, the government fisheries agency said.

The whalers have orders to kill up to 50 humpback whales — the first known large-scale hunt for the species since a 1963 moratorium put humpbacks under international protection.

The new hunt is certain to renew Japan's angry standoff with anti-whaling forces. Greenpeace and the animal rights activist group Sea Shepherd have said they will track the South Pacific hunt.

Four ships including the lead craft, the 8,044-ton Nisshin Maru, were set to leave Sunday morning from the southern port of Shimonoseki, said a news release from Japan's Fisheries Agency.

Two observation boats left northern Japan on Wednesday, the agency said.

Along with the humpbacks, the 239-member mission that runs through April will also take up to 935 Antarctic minke whales and up to 50 fin whales in their largest scientific whale hunt ever held in the South Pacific, according to a report Japan submitted to the International Whaling Commission earlier this year.

But it is the plan to hunt the humpback — a favorite among whale-watchers for its distinctive knobby head, intelligence and out-of-the-water acrobatics — that has triggered environmentalists' condemnation.

"These whales don't have to die," said a Greenpeace spokesman, Junichi Sato. "Humpbacks are very sensitive and live in close-knit pods. So even one death can be extremely damaging."

Humpback whales were hunted to near-extinction four decades ago. They have been off-limits since 1963, except for a few caught under a subsistence program by Greenland and the Caribbean nation of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. Each caught one humpback last year, according to the International Whaling Commission.

The former Soviet Union defied the ban and hunted humpbacks until 1973. It is disputed how many were killed.

Scientists say humpback whales are complex creatures that communicate through lengthy "songs."

Although they grow up to 48 feet long and weigh as much as 40 tons, they are extremely acrobatic, often throwing themselves out of the water, swimming on their backs with both flippers in the air, or slapping the water with their tails.

The American Cetacean Society estimates the global humpback population at 30,000-40,000 — about a third of the number before modern whaling. The species is listed as "vulnerable" by the World Conservation Union.

Japanese fisheries officials insist, however, that the animals' population has returned to a sustainable level.

"Humpback whales in our research area are rapidly recovering," said the Fisheries Agency's whaling chief, Hideki Moronuki. "Taking 50 humpbacks from a population of tens of thousands will have no significant impact whatsoever."

He said killing whales lets marine biologists study their internal organs. Ovaries provide vital clues to reproductive systems, earwax indicates age, and stomach contents reveal eating habits, he said.

Meat from Japan's scientific catch is sold commercially, as permitted by the IWC, but Japanese officials deny that profit is a goal.

Japan also argues that whaling is a tradition in its country that dates back to the early 1600s, and Tokyo has pushed unsuccessfully at the IWC to reverse the 1986 commercial whaling moratorium.

Environmentalists claim that Japan's research program is a pretext for keeping the whaling industry alive.

Japan accuses activists of "environmental terrorism." After its last Antarctic hunt, the government released video of protesters launching smoke canisters from a Sea Shepherd ship and dropping ropes and nets to entangle the Japanese ships' propellers.

"We call them terrorists because they engage in blatant terrorism," Moronuki said. "We don't want violence. ... All Japan wants is to find a sustainable way to hunt a very precious marine resource."

Environmentalists have long campaigned for an end to the winter catch in the Southern Ocean and a North Pacific mission that kills about 100 minke whales a year.

Scientists note that humpbacks migrate to the southern seas from breeding grounds around the world.

"Some breeding grounds are not recovering to the same extent as others," said whale biologists Ken Findlay at the University of Cape Town. "While the catch may be small, we're not sure where they come from. That's a real concern."

Environmentalists also are critical of the harpooning methods Japan's fleet uses. Ships sometimes chase wounded whales for hours, Findlay said.

Save the carbon but kill the whales and dolphins

"He said killing whales lets marine biologists study their internal organs. Ovaries provide vital clues to reproductive systems, earwax indicates age, and stomach contents reveal eating habits, he said."

I may be stupid, but I still do not understand how having this information can benefit the world in general. It would have been more justifiable had they found evidence that these whale carcasses can cure AIDS or cancer.

And Japan did admit that they commercially sell whale meat. If it is not for profit, then why sell it in the first place? Environmental terrorists? Look who is talking.

And tradition? I don't think what is applicable in the 1600s is applicable in our time.

Things they are saying really do not add up.

So, rants aside, what can ordinary people like us do to stop them? I am all for donating cash to the defenders such as greenpeace and the sea shepherd... may the members of their tribe increase a hundred fold....

By sort off construction as aege off building ist that Sea Shepherd a Vessel with

that i dont move more far then 20 nautical miles from a lawfuel states coast off...

E.L.7*

I may be stupid, but I still do not understand how having this information can benefit the world in general.

following your tought process, same thing could be said about the majority of the ecological studies... and astronomical ones... etc.

I would never give cash to these organizations. I just dont believe in them for too many reasons. I suggest you do your part by trying to do things to preserve the whales environment, coz by trying to save a hundred whales, if we let their environment deteriorate, we'll kill the rest of em'. Lower your energy consumption, recycle, be more eco-friendly and vote for people who believe in it.

In the St Lawrence, we had a huge population of belugas. They are dissappearing rapidly, not by hunting which is not allowed but because of pollution. People were putting energy to save the ones that were dying on the shore but didn'T do anything about the pollution. Yeah, they saved a few... that survived for a while... but finally died anyway out of contamination by toxic pollutants.

In the St Lawrence, we had a huge population of belugas. They are dissappearing rapidly, not by hunting which is not allowed but because of pollution. People were putting energy to save the ones that were dying on the shore but didn'T do anything about the pollution. Yeah, they saved a few... that survived for a while... but finally died anyway out of contamination by toxic pollutants.

Good point. In general, loss (or deterioration) of habitat is probably the biggest threat to wildlife.

No offense Mike, but going after a defenseless Humpback whale with an explosive harpoon puts a different slant on the definition of "sportsman"...

I don't have a problem with the Native American tribe in the PNW who take several whales a year as is their custom. I wouldn't have a problem with an indigenous people in Japan doing something similar.

But taking over 1000 whales total for "Scientific Research" is a blatant lie. If it really was non-profit research, they would dispose of the carcasses in a non-commercial way. It's all a sham perpetrated by the corporation that owns and runs the whaling fleet. And it is a commercial processing operation, equipped with multiple chase boats - not a scientific research vessel.

CNN just showed the whale ship leaving port. There were streamers in the air like it was a cruise ship departure. Don't try to tell me that wasn't staged for the cameras by the corporation or the Fisheries Agency...

I did a little further digging and discovered the sponsoring organization that this "Research" takes place under:
Institute of Cetacean Research (ICR, 日本鯨類研究所 Nippon Geirui Kenkyūsho) is a Japanese privately owned, non-profit institution. It grew out of the Whale Research Institute (founded 1947) which in turn was an off-shoot of Nakabe Scientific Research Centre (founded 1941). The Whales Research Institute obtained its scientific data from commercial whaling. ICR was established in response to the 1986 IWC moratorium on all commercial whaling. It has absorbed ships, crew and equipments of a whaling company which now look after the sale of whale meat from the institute. It is often claimed to be a front for the commercial whaling industry by whaling critics. It is funded by ex-whaling organisations and the Japanese government.
If it looks like a commercial whaling outfit, uses their equipment and is funded by ex-whalers what else do you call it? And ICR is funded by a for profit company.
Whaling critics accuse the institute of being a cover for Japan's commercial whaling industry. They point to the fact that it is funded by Kyodo Senpaku, a for-profit company that conducts the collection, processing and selling wholesale of the whale specimens on behalf of the research institute. The IRC is also subsidised by the Japanese government. Kyodo Senpaku sells roughly US$60 million worth of whale products each year. In 2005 Japan increased its whale catch vastly undertaken by the IRC, still claiming it was for scientific purposes; Professor Toshio Kasuya, of Teikyo University of Science and Technology in Japan said in the Mainichi Shinbun newspaper “This is nothing other than an economic activity. It leaves no room for researchers to carry out research based on their own ideas.
I suppose that $60 Million has no impact on their eagerness to continue their illegal operations though...

Go Captain Paul...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom