Japan Might KILL the world's only White Whale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diversteve

always tired
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This has to be stopped, it's senseless and there's no rational justification for it.

Japan might kill world's only white whale
By Nick Squires in Sydney
Last Updated: 3:01pm GMT 12/11/2007

Pictures/original article here:
Japan might kill world's only white whale - Telegraph

Australians fear that the world's only known white humpback whale could be slaughtered as Japan's whaling fleet prepares to embark on its annual hunt in the Southern Ocean.

The unique male whale, named Migaloo - an Aboriginal word for "white fella" - has become a celebrity in Australia since being spotted for the first time in 1991.

Each year Migaloo - along with thousands of other humpbacks - migrates from the icy seas of Antarctica to the warm shallows of the South Pacific and the Great Barrier Reef.

A few months later the whales, the females leading their newly-born calves, return to Antarctica.

The arrival of 45ft-long Migaloo - believed to be the only completely white humpback in the world - is keenly anticipated by whale watchers along Australia's east coast.

He has been hailed as modern day Moby Dick, even though the creature in Herman Melville's 1851 classic was a sperm whale.

Conservationists fear that Migaloo is so accustomed to whale watching and fishing boats, that he will be easy pickings for Japanese hunters.

With the southern hemisphere summer approaching, the Japanese whaling fleet is preparing to leave port within days. It refuses to say exactly when.

It has declared that for the first time it will kill 50 humpbacks, as well as 50 fin whales and hundreds of minke whales.

The Japanese argue that after decades of hunting fin and humpback whales have recovered to sufficient levels that they can now withstand being harpooned again.

The Fisheries Agency in Tokyo refused to rule out killing Migaloo today, with officials offering a blunt "no comment" to media inquiries.

Instead the agency called on Australia and New Zealand to ensure that the Japanese fleet would be protected from anti-whaling ships operated by a militant environmental group, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. <-Link to Operation Migaloo.

Last year Sea Shepherd threatened to ram the Japanese fleet with a ship fitted with a bulldozer-type blade. The group has been branded environmental terrorists by Tokyo.

"Those two countries maintain the same position as Japan does against the violent action of terrorists," spokesman Hideki Moronuki told ABC Radio.

"[We] need support from those two countries in order to secure the safety of our crews and (our ships)."

But the captain of Sea Shepherd's two vessels, Paul Watson, said he had the law on his side because whale hunting was illegal.

"They're targeting endangered species in a whale sanctuary in violation of a global moratorium on whaling.

"If Japan reacts violently to us, causes any injury at all to any of our people, that will backlash very severely on Japan because Japan is the criminal nation here," he said.

Japan uses a loophole in International Whaling Commission laws to hunt around 1,000 whales each year in the Southern Hemisphere, ostensibly for the purposes of scientific research.

People who have encountered Migaloo on his epic journey of migration describe the sight as a once in a lifetime experience.

"He turned the blue water around him jade-green for two or three metres," one awe-struck Australian whale-watch operator said of a sighting two years ago.

Scientists are uncertain whether Migaloo is a true albino, or simply has white pigmentation.

In a sign of how healthy the population of humpbacks has become, a female and her calf paid a short visit to Sydney Harbour today.

The pair was noticed entering the harbour from the sea by passengers on a passing ferry and spent about three hours in sheltered waters before continuing their journey south.

Steve,

Thank you for sharing this information, even though it highly upsets me. I get so mad at people for being so ignorant and selfish when I see something like this, but I know the only way change will eventually occur is sharing these atrocities to the public.

Thanks Steve for posting this.

Wow. What other bad things are we going to hear about Japan? I was set off by the whole dolphin ordeal.(http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-life-ecosystems/208747-dolphin-slaughter-japan.html)

Why don't they just fish out the entire f'n oceans? There, I said it, this really is going too far. Okay, I know what some of you will say, and I can predict that some of you will roll your eyes. I am sure that it isn't only the Japanese doing this(however, they may be among the largest violators), so I suppose we cannot point fingers. I know this is not a perfect world, and it never will be, but I wish that for one f'n day, all of the countries in the world could just unite and realize that the world is at stake if we ALL don't start to change our ways? What is the purpose of this? Tradition? Greed? Whaling and fishing(dolphins) such beautiful and docile creatures cannot be the ONLY way to make money. Can we at least spare the LAST white humpback whale: Migaloo?

"Scientific Research"???? Have the Japanese published anything useful to the whole world in general on their whale research? And after understanding the mindset of the dolphin hunters, I would like to ask the people here who understand the Japanese as to why they need to kill these whales for research purposes.

If the demand for whale meat isn't large, then what do these people( Norway folks included ) want to happen? Kill every last sea mammal until they are all extinct?

Kudos to Paul Watson for his excellent work. Call it illegal or harsh, but at least he is doing what he can to help the whales.

Additionally, I do hope that the Australian and New Zealand government will not do anything to help the whalers, but support the Sea Shepherd instead.

"Scientific Research"???? Have the Japanese published anything useful to the whole world in general on their whale research? And after understanding the mindset of the dolphin hunters, I would like to ask the people here who understand the Japanese as to why they need to kill these whales for research purposes.

If the demand for whale meat isn't large, then what do these people( Norway folks included ) want to happen? Kill every last sea mammal until they are all extinct?

Kudos to Paul Watson for his excellent work. Call it illegal or harsh, but at least he is doing what he can to help the whales.

Based on Japans track record this doesnt surprise anybody but wait someone will post thats its a "scientific or "cultural" decision:popcorn:

Any movement to send some meat or fish to Japanese yet?

Even, they are consuming 1/4 of world Tuna consumption every year. They are reaping the whirlwind due to the recent price jack up and its depletion. In 2006, Japan admitted they had illegally caught too many of one type of tuna, and were punished by having stricter limits on their catch.

Additionally, I do hope that the Australian and New Zealand government will not do anything to help the whalers, but support the Sea Shepherd instead.

i wouldnt hold my breath..... :shakehead:

Cultural thing?

Then does that mean Japan and Norway share the same culture? Japan isn't the only country that loves to kill whales for no good reason.

Ok, so if it is scientific, then what substantial research that will benefit the whole world have they done with the whale carcasses?

I am asking these hoping that someone can shed some light on the enemy. After all, you have to know your enemy in order to win the war.

Tuna is a different story though. They are eaten in japanese restaurants all over the world, both raw or cooked. So that at least has an understandable reason.

And with the whales multiplying so much that they become pests? Puhleeze. Whales do not live/poop/eat in your backyard like the geese do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom