Japan Might KILL the world's only White Whale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense Mike, but going after a defenseless Humpback whale with an explosive harpoon puts a different slant on the definition of "sportsman"...

Commercial hunting and fishing isn't usually very sporting. We eat lots of criters that are harvested from the sea. From what I've read and heard, many of those fisheries are either strained from over fishing or the harvest poses other threats to the environment.
I don't have a problem with the Native American tribe in the PNW who take several whales a year as is their custom. I wouldn't have a problem with an indigenous people in Japan doing something similar.

We have similar issues all over. Do some reading on the spearing of spawning walley pike in Wisconsin by native americans. The practice is permitted because of a treaty that dates back almost 200 years. There was a big stink over it back in the 80's.
1000 whales total for "Scientific Research" is a blatant lie. If it really was non-profit research, they would dispose of the carcasses in a non-commercial way. It's all a sham perpetrated by the corporation that owns and runs the whaling fleet. And it is a commercial processing operation, equipped with multiple chase boats - not a scientific research vessel.

CNN just showed the whale ship leaving port. There were streamers in the air like it was a cruise ship departure. Don't try to tell me that wasn't staged for the cameras by the corporation or the Fisheries Agency...

I don't know if it's a sham or not. I don't know if any laws are being broken or if it makes sense to harvest any wales from a conservation point of view. I do know that private citizens attacking them at sea sounds more like piracy than conservation. Don't they hang pirates?

What's with the white whale? Is it somehow more worthy than the black ones since this one is lifted up as a symbol? Or do we have a well orchestrated PR campaign going? Of course, if this species of whales are in danger they should be protected. This white individual just doesn't really have anything to do with it, except for drawing people's attention off the issue.

Cultural thing?

Then does that mean Japan and Norway share the same culture? Japan isn't the only country that loves to kill whales for no good reason.

Eh... Practical problem! How else would we get the excellent meat from the mink whales then? Should we start whale farms in our fiords? Maybe even give them steriods to put on weight faster, like US cattle? We're pretty good at farming salmon, but I doubt this is much the same. Anyways, others seem to want our excellent salmon off their markets, since they can't compete on either quality or price.

If the demand for whale meat isn't large, then what do these people( Norway folks included ) want to happen? Kill every last sea mammal until they are all extinct?

Kudos to Paul Watson for his excellent work. Call it illegal or harsh, but at least he is doing what he can to help the whales.

If he shows up around here he'd be arrested an prosecuted, rightfully. Sinking boats isn't helping much, on anything. And over here it's even illegal...

Feelings, people. You're deep into it. What's next? Moose and deer hunting? Should we stop that too? What about goose hunting? I don't know... I knew a vegetarian once. He never looked well as long as I knew him. So I eat fish three times a week and meat four times. Even whale meat sometimes, but it's expensive nowadays.

(OK, you can start throwing them rotten eggs at me now. I'm hiding...)

I wish i had a MIG or something so i could scuttle the *******s on there way down south. No mercy for that.

I think the best thing for this thread is to keep it on topic. Stop mentioning other animals in depth except for whales in this particular thread.

If there are plenty of geese in Canada, I'm sure animal control in your area has a way to stop them from becoming pests to the people who live there.

True, we need to stop polluting as these will kill the sea creatures faster than anything.

Whaling is really conducted for profit, since it is extremely stupid to kill thousands of them for non profit reasons. Other scientific research do not massacre lots of creatures just to obtain weight, reproductive and earwax data.

Minke whale meat? Why do we have to eat it all the time? We are not starving to death that we have to resort to eating whales! I am not saying that we have to be vegetarians, but hey, we do not have to kill thousands of whales just to eat! A person will not die of malnutrition if he doesn't eat whale meat for his entire life!

Some people might disagree with what the environmental groups are doing, but maybe that is the best thing to do( feel free to suggest if anyone sees a better way), given that some governments will not change their minds despite all the protests/petitions the world is shouting at them.

Refer to the dolphin slaughter thread in this forum. The posters there who have lived in Japan had learned that you cannot just step into their country and tell them what they can and cannot do. So, what is the most effective way to stop this?

I think the best thing for this thread is to keep it on topic. Stop mentioning other animals in depth except for whales in this particular thread.

If there are plenty of geese in Canada, I'm sure animal control in your area has a way to stop them from becoming pests to the people who live there.

True, we need to stop polluting as these will kill the sea creatures faster than anything.

Whaling is really conducted for profit, since it is extremely stupid to kill thousands of them for non profit reasons. Other scientific research do not massacre lots of creatures just to obtain weight, reproductive and earwax data.

Minke whale meat? Why do we have to eat it all the time? We are not starving to death that we have to resort to eating whales! I am not saying that we have to be vegetarians, but hey, we do not have to kill thousands of whales just to eat! A person will not die of malnutrition if he doesn't eat whale meat for his entire life!

Some people might disagree with what the environmental groups are doing, but maybe that is the best thing to do( feel free to suggest if anyone sees a better way), given that some governments will not change their minds despite all the protests/petitions the world is shouting at them.

Refer to the dolphin slaughter thread in this forum. The posters there who have lived in Japan had learned that you cannot just step into their country and tell them what they can and cannot do. So, what is the most effective way to stop this?

WHAT makes species of whales so much different than other mammals to you? If you guys succeed with preserving all whales, what's next on your list? Seals? Moose? Those pretty deers in our woods? Why should we let YOU decide WHAT and NOT for us when we can decide for ourselves? Please note that I do not take a stand pro what's going on down south, with the species of whales the Japanese are after now. I personally think it's much to early to go after humpbacks. I do NOT think the population can support hunting them over some time and therefore it may be wrong. (I don't know this, I just THINK so...) But the thread title doesn't even MENTION that this is about humpbacks. -Just that it's about ONE WHITE WHALE!!!

Yes, I suppose all whaling is about profit, like fisheries, and meat farming other places. At least it is here where I live. The demand for mink whale meat is present and large. It's even much healthier than red meat, so why on earth should we rule it out as food when the mink whale population definitely can support what we're taking? IF the mink whales should deminish then we'll stop right away, but they're growing in numbers as we speak.

If you want any kind of sympathy for you cause over here, the least you can do is to put some hand cuffs on Mr Watson and fly him over here, together with that pretty lady of his and others from Sea Sheperd who took part in sinking several boats and endangering several people's lives. To actively support them after doing this is as provocative to us as giving moral support to Al Quaida in public. How far do you think you'll get that way, really?

Don't you think that the state of the marine eco-system has declined enough, due to worldwide complacency, that we ought to be fairly zealous in our conservation efforts until we can undo or reverse some (most) of the damage that has been done?

I agree with wardric that repairing their environment is the most important quest to saving these animals, but, doesn't depleting select portions of the fish and marine mammal population (Whales, Sharks, Dolphins etc.) directly affect this environment as a whole?

Would we even be having this discussion if, for lack of a better term, "greed" hadn't already started pushing many marine species to the brink of distinction? This isn't about people hunting Whales or fishing for survival as they have/had for hundreds of years it's about a few making a lot money.

Maybe violence and piracy isn't the best way to solve the problem but, what is? Did you all read the article about Sharkwater in Fathoms magazine (and others)? As long as there's enough money being paid to the right people such as the Japanese Government and the Coastarican (spelling?) Government and there are pigheaded people out there that will pay $100 for a bowl of Shark fin soup (sorry slightly out of context for the Whale thread but, I don't know how much inappropriate Whale dishes go for) there is going to be a problem which eventually affects all of us.

My Norwegian hosts were extremely nice with excellent manners (Norway is one of my favorite places to visit). They just expressed an opinion I do not personally agree with. But I find it possible to disagree without becoming disagreeable (and to behave any other way would make me an ungrateful guest).

True in one sense. There are roles that guest and host play - be polite, be honest, be informed, communicate - walk away with some understanding(s).

As an American delegate to Japan's Ocean Expo 75' we found ourselves consistently thwarted at every point from expressing opinion, or having dialog related to the condition of the whales. Diversion, re-scheduling events, blocking others from hearing about it - you name it. It was quite hypocritical of the Japanese government to invite people from all over the world to take part in forums related to ocean understanding, but pin them into corners to speak only on pre-determined "fluff" topics.

Heavy metal pollution, overfishing and involvement of poorer nations were given short shrift. In other words, the government put lipstick on the pig and sold the idea of technology. On a positive note, I did learn a lot about Komatsu underwater bulldozers and self-contained cities at sea (Aquapolis). Lipstick.

The take-away message I got is that you have to speak up for yourself, and sometimes take a definitive stance. It's quite clear that the Japanese government does not give a _____ about world opinion, or facts. Given a chance, the harvesters will strip the planet of shared resources. This has happened with Bluefin Tuna and certainly with whales during the 50's/60'/70's.. Additionally, we also know that they are more than happy to let their citizens eat meat which is tainted with heavy metals.

What amazes me is that a great many folks don't seem to understand that communication and diplomacy haven't worked with the Japanese. They will do what they want to do. Given the facts and the Japanese stance - what would you do? Stand around and shake our collective heads? The AUSSIES and KIWIs' have certainly made their position known. It's too bad other nations like the US stand mute in a corner.

X

REad about good old Paul Watson. From Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society
P.O. Box 2616, Friday Harbor, WA 98250
Phone 310-456-1141 | Fax 310-456-2488 | Email seashepherd@seashepherd.org

“We’re not a protest organization, we’re a policing organization,” Paul Watson has said of his Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS). A pirate organization is more like it. Sporting the skull and crossbones, his black or battleship-gray ships sail menacingly through the waves. They are painted with the names of the boats Watson has rammed and sunk.
The ships are fitted with water cannons, a concrete-filled bow made for ramming, and an attachment dubbed the “can opener” that can tear open a boat’s hull. In his book Earth Warrior, David Morris writes that Watson wears a long bowie knife at his side and carries AK-47s on board. He blasts Richard Wagner’s rousing “Ride of the Valkyries” to herald his arrival and terrify his victims.

SSCS’s mission is to stop fishing of which it disapproves. Its preferred methods? Ramming and sinking fishing ships, throwing butyric acid on their decks, and firing machine guns. Watson argues that United Nations resolutions authorize him to commit violent acts. But he regularly interferes with fisherman and hunters who are committing no crime. He serves as judge, jury, and executioner -- while enjoying the same tax-exempt status as universities and churches.

Some of the animal-rights movement’s most notorious terrorists got their start with SSCS. One of them, convicted arsonist Rodney Coronado, had Watson’s approval to plan and execute an attack on Iceland’s whaling industry. He and a colleague sank two of the fleet’s four ships and destroyed a processing facility....continued.

I do appreciate cheez and your sense of drama. You're free to state your opinion. However, let me remind you that it was your prior comments (on a parallel thread) incited some to respond with anger - resulting in a closed thread. Your popcorn emoticon suggested intent, not to mention the incendiary nature of your post(s).

Either or, the topic of this thead is about whales. You've stated your opinion - pro-whaling. Any science behind that opinion? Or is this opinion as flighty as your feeling about geese?

X

I ask again, why the veiled hostility and outright namecalling?

And yes there is science to my opinion. You wouldn't agree with it and I'm not here to change your mind, just show another viewpoint.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom