Japan Might KILL the world's only White Whale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how many humpbacks are there and is 50 a big deal?

According to a prior reply ... The American Cetacean Society estimates the global humpback population at 30,000-40,000 — about a third of the number before modern whaling. The species is listed as "vulnerable" by the World Conservation Union.

So to answer your question ... killing 50 humpbacks is statistically equivalent to killing about 75,000 humans ... no big deal.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

IF the mink whales should deminish then we'll stop right away, but they're growing in numbers as we speak.
Except that history has shown that you won't.

Hence the whaling ban that your country so conveniently ignores.

You know, the one signed by all the other civilized nations in the world...

So how many humpbacks are there and is 50 a big deal?
One is a big deal.

Ever seen one in person? Or seen a 35 ton mother encourage her 2 ton calf to interact with the funny looking small things in the wetsuits.

You wouldn't be asking this question...

Except that history has shown that you won't.

Hence the whaling ban that your country so conveniently ignores.

You know, the one signed by all the other civilized nations in the world...

Sorry to correct you, but history shows WE DID. -For many years. Since there were doubt about just how many mink whales there were. It was only when we were confident that there was ENOUGH to sustain a healthy population that we took up the industry again.

And I am very certain we would again, if it should come to that. In the late 60's we learned an important lesson when we simply wiped out most of the herring population in our waters. We simply didn' know what was going on until it was to late. It affected to whole fish population, since our atlantic cod depends on the herring as a food source. We are simply not going to do such a mistake again. Our biggest problem in the fishing industry now are the Russians, the Portugese, the Spanish fishery fleets. Maybe I forgot some...

There's no international market for [our] whale products. It's all sold in our own country, and we're 4.6 million people. Most of us not eating whale meat even. And we don't even take enough to support this small market. Of course those involved in the industry, we're talking small individual boat owners here, not a large industry, would like to see us able to export to Japan. -The only possible market. So far it hasn't been possible, and I'm quite happy with that so we can keep this on a small scale.

Sorry to correct you, but history shows WE DID. -For many years. Since there were doubt about just how many mink whales there were. It was only when we were confident that there was ENOUGH to sustain a healthy population that we took up the industry again.

And I am very certain we would again, if it should come to that. In the late 60's we learned an important lesson when we simply wiped out most of the herring population in our waters. We simply didn' know what was going on until it was to late. It affected to whole fish population, since our atlantic cod depends on the herring as a food source. We are simply not going to do such a mistake again. Our biggest problem in the fishing industry now are the Russians, the Portugese, the Spanish fishery fleets. Maybe I forgot some...

There's no international market for [our] whale products. It's all sold in our own country, and we're 4.6 million people. Most of us not eating whale meat even. And we don't even take enough to support this small market. Of course those involved in the industry, we're talking small individual boat owners here, not a large industry, would like to see us able to export to Japan. -The only possible market. So far it hasn't been possible, and I'm quite happy with that so we can keep this on a small scale.
I stand corrected. And thanks for explaining your position. Still wish your country would stop whaling though. I don't see the need to have started up again after the last time you stopped.

For me it's not about the economics - I just have a problem with killing such beautiful apex creatures for food when alternatives obviously exist. That includes any whale.

And the taking of close to a thousand Minke whales annually by the Japanese would seem to have a bigger effect on the resulting whale population.

Mr Watson and his gang are nothing but a bunch of criminals, breaking laws and risking people's lives, and then running off without having the guts to face the consequences. Mr Watson claims he is likely to be killed by the whaling mafia in a Norwegian jail, were he likely will end up after our corrupt courts have sentenced him to jail for life...

Heck, he'd more likely get 60 days in an open facility, with cable TV and four good meals a day, IF they manage to pin it on him in person.

Kompressor,

Thanks for clarifying your country's stand on whaling. Most of us here hate the fact that Japan is doing this for profit, without a care in the world for anything else.

It is true that the Japanese public should be educated regarding whale meat consumption. So, is there anyone here who lives in Japan? Care to enlighten us on how the Japanese public feels about this? Is whale meat a huge demand here?

With regards to the dolphins, the other thread with regards to the dolphin slaughter talked about educating the remaining fishermen in Taiji in order for dolphin killing to be a thing of the past. It took one brave fisherman in Futo to turn the tide around the dolphin industry in that area, by being the dolphin watching pioneer, despite the heavy opposition.

Now, the money involved in the dolphins is nowhere near the $60 million that the whales bring in. Given that we can write to the conservationists in Japan, is there anything else we can do? Again it is ok to take some, but don't be too greedy as to take so much to the point of depletion.

Mr Watson and his gang are nothing but a bunch of criminals

Inflammatory nonsense. Stick to the thread's topic, Japanese whaling and the potential slaughter of the white humpback.

Sadamune

Inflammatory nonsense.

I think not. Mr Watson and his gang are thugs and their soon demise will testify to it. Taking the law into your own hands is RARELY the right thing to do.

Stick to the thread's topic, Japanese whaling and the potential slaughter of the white humpback.

Sadamune

"Japan might KILL" and "potential slaughter" both sound more like inflammatory nonsense that stating facts based on Mr. Watsons past criminal activity.

Reason? Glad you asked!

Mr. Watson and his gang HAVE committed crimes in International waters, Japan has not killed the worlds only white Humpback whale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom