Jet fins for non-technical diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmmm...traveling weight's not a concern, so at some point I'm gonna have to give them and/or the Hollis F1's a try (I know the SP jetfins are super well-regarded, but I like the F1's foot pocket better and they are probably the coolest looking fin I've ever seen). Thanks for the replies so far!

Doug - depending on your foot size, you may find the F1 a good choice. My other half's feet are too big for an XL Jet and too small for an XXL Jet (he has size 12 feet). He even tried kitting his feet out in dry suit rockboots to get into the XXL Jets, but no dice. He now wears the XL Hollis, and since they're a bit longer than most old school paddle fins, Hollis F1's are much kinder to divers that prefer to flutter kick. They're also as cool as hell. I always think of them as Batman fins. I love my Jets too much to consider giving them up, though.

Jets are the preferred fin of experienced divers the world over, regardless of the "tech" or not "tech" designation. The downside is that they are a tad heavy and with today's increasing travel restrictions they sometimes are a weight liability.

N

Yeah what he said.
I don't concider myself a tech diver, and I use them all the time.
Yes I use a drysuit, and bp/w, but that doesn't make me tech.

From the many posts I've read SP Jet Fins seemed to be, by far, the most preferred fin for pushing doubles, a drysuit, etc. Just curious what people's opinions are (people who have experience with them) regarding Jet Fins for a diver in a wetsuit with a single tank?

Well it depends if you like them or not :) If you enjoy using them with single tank there is no reason not to. I know lots of people who use them for single tank diving. I use them for all my diving, single or doubles diving in wetsuit or drysuit. I don't like them when snorkelling though and use longer fins then. There are other fins similar to Jet Fins if you find them too negative like Slipstreams too.

Doug - depending on your foot size, you may find the F1 a good choice. My other half's feet are too big for an XL Jet and too small for an XXL Jet (he has size 12 feet). He even tried kitting his feet out in dry suit rockboots to get into the XXL Jets, but no dice. He now wears the XL Hollis, and since they're a bit longer than most old school paddle fins, Hollis F1's are much kinder to divers that prefer to flutter kick. They're also as cool as hell. I always think of them as Batman fins. I love my Jets too much to consider giving them up, though.

I wear a size 11-11.5...I think that's a bad size for jetfins. My primary kick is some version of the frog kick-are the F1's good for that? If so, as good as the Jets?

I like them when I need to use booties. Otherwise I like full foot freediving fins. Nice to see another diverdoug!

From the many posts I've read SP Jet Fins seemed to be, by far, the most preferred fin for pushing doubles, a drysuit, etc. Just curious what people's opinions are (people who have experience with them) regarding Jet Fins for a diver in a wetsuit with a single tank?

They work fine, but unless you have some strong need to be able to hold position by back-kicking (for photography, say), have to worry about silting, or otherwise need to be able to do multiple styles of kicks efficiently, they're not necessary. Personally, I use split fins for my single tank ocean shore diving. For making long swims (surface and submerged) without leg fatigue or cramping, I much prefer my split fins (black Bio-Fin Pros, or the Vortex V-12s that I rarely use anymore), wet or dry. I can flutter kick those all day with no problems, and that's the only kick the vast majority of divers need to use. You can also frog kick some splits like the Bio-Fins (the stiffer Pro XT would probably work better), although they won't work as well as a stiff paddle fin like the Jet et al. To date (~300 dives, almost all in the Pacific in the Monterey area), I've never had any problem with swimming against any current I've encountered in my split fins. I won't say that may not be an issue sometime, but so far it hasn't been.

For single tank diving, the only time I use my Jets is when I'm boat diving and want maximum maneuverability, don't need to swim very far, and their spring straps make taking them off before climbing the ladder easier - whenever I get around to putting spring straps on my Apollos that advantage will disappear. My XL jets aggravate an old groin muscle injury, and are hard on my bad hip; my splits don't and aren't. The XL Jets have what's often considered to be the worst foot pocket of any fin extant, roughly the shape of a two by four and about as flexible -- if it fits your foot/boot combination great, but if not you've got problems. My feet are a half-size different, and while my XL Jets fit the larger foot fine the other foot flops around inside the fin pocket, wasting energy and (I think) making cramps more likely/severe. This has not been an issue with fins that have less stiff foot pockets with a more curved upper surface, shaped more like a foot than the previously mentioned two-by-four.

Not all Jets have the same badly-shaped fin pocket. The XL jet seems to be the worst, as my L jets are fine on my feet (but I can only wear them with thin warm-water wetsuit boots, and I have to pry them off my feet), and the reasonably-sized blades don't cause the stress issues that the XL's much larger blades do. I'd like to try a pair of the Hollis F1s, as the foot pocket looks to be a better shape. Turtles are almost certainly too big for my feet, Slipstreams are an unknown quantity (and I like the more negative fins in any case), and I have no idea about the Rockets or Power fins.

Guy

I wear a size 11-11.5...I think that's a bad size for jetfins. My primary kick is some version of the frog kick-are the F1's good for that? If so, as good as the Jets?

It depends. I have size 10 feet, and with my drysuit (attached boots) fit XL Jets pretty well. In a wetsuit with booties, the XL Jets work fine as well, though they're definitely a lot more spacious and could be smaller. I imagine a size 11-11.5 in wetsuit booties could fit XL Jets just fine, and be a bit large/snug with drysuit boots. You just have to try it and check.

I've been using jets (or something very similar) since way before there was technical diving and I expect to be using the same long after technical diving becomes mainstream. They work well in all configurations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom