Jet fins for non-technical diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't consider myself a technical diver but I love my jets.

I use the XL with drysuit boots and doubles

The L Jets with drysuit boots and singles

The M with my tropical wetsuit and booties.

May get rid of the M and use XL for all drysuit diving and L for the tropics, but like others have said, they are quite heavy to carry on the airplane.

Speaking of weight, I recently crammed all my gear, jets included, onto a carry-on bag (that fit in the overhead bin) for a trip to Hawaii. Though heavier than some other fins, that weight (a little over 3lb per fin with spring straps) was minor compared to the steel backplate and weighted STA :)

Doug - I sent you a PM answering your questions and relating a couple of F1 diving anecdotes. Hope it's what you were looking for. But yes - Guy is absolutely right about the foot pocket palaver and the difficulties some folk carrying an old leg/hip injury might have with stiffer paddle fins. I have a bit of arthritis in my left knee (ACL surgery 5-years ago) and haven't had a problem - again, I think because I favor the frog-kick as a means of locomotion - but war-wounded folks trying to fight a current while flutter kicking would have an especially beastly time.

Anyplace where the bottom composition is silty, alternative kicks are desirable, if not necessary. For a good frock kick or back kick, you need a relatively stiff paddle fin. Jets, Turtles, and now the F1, are commonly used by people who do these kicks. OMS Slipstreams are used for warm water, and a fair number of Florida cave divers use Dive Rite fins (at least from the photos I've seen).

For years I used the Aeris Velocity fins and was really pleased with them except that things like the frog kick were very uncomfortable for me.

I switched to Jets and they were equally gentle to dive but due to being stouter and perhaps other factors made the frog kick almost natural for me.

This is all single tank wetsuit diving though the range of wetsuit options. My DS fins are going strong and remain Velocities. I go back & forth and my legs don't mind the differences.

Pete

For an all round good fin you can't beat them, as has been noted for travel the weight is an issue. You may also want to take a look at these HOG CLASSIC TECH FINS I am waiting to get my hands on a pair to try them out but the price is right and they come with springstraps standard.

I got my first set of Jets in 1974, my second set I am still using in about 1988 and a third set for spare two years ago (wrapped and stored). N

Doug - I sent you a PM answering your questions and relating a couple of F1 diving anecdotes. Hope it's what you were looking for. But yes - Guy is absolutely right about the foot pocket palaver and the difficulties some folk carrying an old leg/hip injury might have with stiffer paddle fins. I have a bit of arthritis in my left knee (ACL surgery 5-years ago) and haven't had a problem - again, I think because I favor the frog-kick as a means of locomotion - but war-wounded folks trying to fight a current while flutter kicking would have an especially beastly time.

Unfortunately, my particular injury/debility makes doing a frog kick for a prolonged period of time painful, regardless of the fins. I can do it for five minutes or so at a stretch provided I can then switch to a flutter, scissor or dolphin to give it a rest, but long duration cave diving is clearly out for me.

I got my first set of Jets in 1974, my second set I am still using in about 1988 and a third set for spare two years ago (wrapped and stored). N

Ah hah, preparing for the possible Apocalypse. Amazingly enough, so far the Jets have proved resistant to that corollary of (I think) Murphy's Law, the one that says "Anything that's any good will be discontinued". I've been known to stockpile spares of outdoor equipment that I love for just such a contingency. Or gnash my teeth when I didn't and the item disappears. I've got a canister backpacking stove I'm going to have to pension off this year, because I'm down to my last few cans of fuel for it. The stove I was planning to replace it with, and/or its fuel canisters, is apparently also being discontinued.

Guy

Ah hah, preparing for the possible Apocalypse. Amazingly enough, so far the Jets have proved resistant to that corollary of (I think) Murphy's Law, the one that says "Anything that's any good will be discontinued".

On an only-somewhat related note, I've got stashes of IBM Model M and Northgate Omnikey Ultra keyboards in a box somewhere, but it's likely that the 6-pin or PS/2 connectors will never see an adapter for USB 3.0 or whatever i/o standard comes next. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom