Jet fins for non-technical diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost a fin at PCB and have been looking for the perfect fins ever since. I tried the Aeris Velocity, but i need something really powerful. I borrowed my friends jetfins and I dont think i could ever go back to a normal fin. My frog kicks have improved tremendously and its just so easy to move through the water. I will be buying my own ASAP. Im not a tech diver.. yet. :) Just a good ol' recreational diver, but I cavern certified and they were perfect for that.

My large Jets that I use while diving wet work better than my extra large Jets that I use while diving dry, because they fit better. Jets are great -- if they fit. But their one weakness is that the foot pocket sizing is a bit odd to say the least.

On an only-somewhat related note, I've got stashes of IBM Model M and Northgate Omnikey Ultra keyboards in a box somewhere, but it's likely that the 6-pin or PS/2 connectors will never see an adapter for USB 3.0 or whatever i/o standard comes next. Sigh.

That's the other side of the coin, all right. Fortunately, my foot interface is likely to remain v1.0 for the practical future:D

I have used jets for 30+ years. I have retired them for the Hollis F1. For me it is a much better dry suit boot fit, comes standard with a spring strap and has a hefty finger pull that is designed to slide over your heel. I did experience some minor cramping when I first started using them but subsequent conditioning eliminated that. I have a total replacement of my right knee and I have had no trouble/discomfort pushing doubles, cold gear, camera and a dead scooter a couple of times.

My lightweight travel fin is the APS Mantaray. They are short and pack a punch.

Jets are the preferred fin of experienced divers the world over, regardless of the "tech" or not "tech" designation. The downside is that they are a tad heavy and with today's increasing travel restrictions they sometimes are a weight liability.

N

What he said :D

Jets.

I'm a warm water, single tank diver.

I'm sure there are other fins besides Jets.... but I see no need to down-grade at this time :D

Best wishes.

I inherited a pair of jet fins along with a slightly used dry suit I purchased I have dove with them a couple of times and find them harder work than my OMS Slipstreams, also in agreement with the comments regarding weight restrictions as I am flying to Scapa Flow to dive some WW1 wrecks. The only thing I like about the jets over the OMS is they are easy for me to don and remove as the foot pockets seem to fit my feet a little less snug than the OMS's. Oh by the way I spend most of my time diving cold water 34F to 65F which is about the normal temp range for Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence river

For me Jets are great for my diving...drysuit,BP/W, silty environment, frequent current, and not so long surface swims.

When I didn't have the weight of the BP to offset the Jets I couldn't keep my feet off the bottom in Jets. I could have used tank weights to offset them but I didn't want to so I used splits and other fins.

Once I got a BP I then went to the Jets. For long surface swims without a lot of current I still think Twin Jets (splits) are more comfortable. Splits or any other type of fin are better than Jets for a flutter kick (IMO). Through current in and the equation changes however.

You have to adjust your kick to the fin regardless of fin type and as long as you can make adjustments for the weight I think they are the best all around fin.

It's got nothing to do with tech diving (I'm not a tech diver) and it's really not about what you're pushing through the water. I try to go slow and not push anything through the water. It is about frog kicking and having control and maneuverability.

kick style makes a huge difference.

FWIW, I've dove paddle fins my entire life. Started with Min-Rockets as a kid, then Rockets, then Jets & Slipstreams.

I've tried splits. HATE them. To be fair, it may well simply be about learning to use them properly, but I'm just not that dedicated. I'll stick with my jets.

I'm sure there are other fins besides Jets.... but I see no need to down-grade at this time :D

Love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom