Jet fins for your hands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would love to host those gloves for sale on my new online store.. check out www.ScubaLessonsInc.com/ScubaStore to see it. If your interested shoot me an email: tina@scubalessonsinc.com

OK, just used them on a quick trip to Key Largo, and here are my thoughts:

1) While not a huge effect, they definitely help with fine positioning for photography, especially when shooting macro in any sort of surge or current. Certainly worth the price.

2) Easier to work with than I though, the back webbing really keeps the gloves from interfering with your access to camera controls, etc...

3) Nice to have some hand protection for stabilization - yes, I know, no-touch reefs, etc... but most photographers who get close to subjects have been in situations where a little push with a single finger on a piece of dead coral or rock will keep you from having your whole body pushed against the reef, preventing even more damage.

4) Drying out is less difficult than I would have thought, given the fact that they are waterproof. They tend to stay open when off your hands, and the manufacturer recommends storing them with some paper towels in the cuff to keep them from getting mildewed. Seems to work OK.

5) Main downside is that they interfere with hand signals. Not so much for my buddy who was used to them, but I gave an OK sign response to another diver who happened by and I could see that he didn't quite get it..!

I say this was $25 well spent..

Mike

The most interesting thing I found was that every time someone used their hands, their fingers were in a relaxed OPEN position, not cupped for efficiency. This could, with little stretch of the imagination, imply that at one time in our evolution we may have had "natural finger webbing". By becoming land creatures the finger webbing dissapeared.
The cupped position is probably not the most efficient method of propulsion with bare hands. As a competitive swimmer I was taught to spread my fingers. Here's an abstract from the Journal of Biomechanics that supports the notion:

Therefore, we hypothesize that, because of the complex hydro- dynamics related to the 3D shape of the hand, an intermediate finger spacing (between the closed and the widest ones) could be associated to an increased ‘functional’ paddling surface or a higher coefficient of drag, providing swimmers with additional thrust and greater overall efficiency

http://www.posetech.com/FORUM/finger_spacing.pdf

OK, just used them on a quick trip to Key Largo, and here are my thoughts:

1) While not a huge effect, they definitely help with fine positioning for photography, especially when shooting macro in any sort of surge or current. Certainly worth the price.

2) Easier to work with than I though, the back webbing really keeps the gloves from interfering with your access to camera controls, etc...

3) Nice to have some hand protection for stabilization - yes, I know, no-touch reefs, etc... but most photographers who get close to subjects have been in situations where a little push with a single finger on a piece of dead coral or rock will keep you from having your whole body pushed against the reef, preventing even more damage.

4) Drying out is less difficult than I would have thought, given the fact that they are waterproof. They tend to stay open when off your hands, and the manufacturer recommends storing them with some paper towels in the cuff to keep them from getting mildewed. Seems to work OK.

5) Main downside is that they interfere with hand signals. Not so much for my buddy who was used to them, but I gave an OK sign response to another diver who happened by and I could see that he didn't quite get it..!

I say this was $25 well spent..

Mike

That's great Mike! Glad you like them. Your spot on about the hand signals, have yet to solve that one. Send me a couple of good quality pics of you wearing your gloves while diving and I'll trade you a really nice Darkfin T-shirt.

Darkfingloves....The Devolution Continues

wwwhttp://www.darkfingloves.com:wink:

That's great Mike! Glad you like them. Your spot on about the hand signals, have yet to solve that one./QUOTE]

I think that I just solved it... Make the fingers a different color than the webbing!

Send me a couple of good quality pics of you wearing your gloves while diving and I'll trade you a really nice Darkfin T-shirt.

It's a deal! The thing is, I'm usually the one behind the camera, it's pretty rare for me to have pics of me diving. However, I do have one that isn't too bad. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you...

I finally got to try the pair out. Kept forgetting to take them out of the dive bag. Wife actually tried them as she wears gloves. She liked the maneuvarability in the water. we had a good surge dive in LBTS shore diving and minor movements got her right where she wanted. I read alot of the reviews and also the criticisms. I tend to agree with Roy, if you took it down to basics, we'd be swimming in the nude. My wife skin dives. I do not. She likes gloves cuz she likes to one finger touch the bottom or a rock and hang out to watch the little stuff. She commented the swim back to shore was easier and she got a bit more propulsion.

She agrees with Mike that the hand signals are a bit awkward. We have some of our own for navigating and it took me 2 dives to get used to it.

The comments I read about not touching anything or using your hands...Rules for one don't always apply to another. Wife loves the water. Swims like a mermaid and she has always used a slight arm movement for steering. She found the darkfin gloves gave her a stronger push in the direction she was going. She also said coming back to shore was less strain for her and more enjoyable.

For extra air consumption, I think is not applicable. I have 120 steel and she has 80. She still was coming up with more air than me on several dives. She wears gloves regularly as she likes the extra color. LOL. She said the gloves were thinner and easier to do certain thinks like mask flushes and strap adjustments.

Not an issue taking fins off at shores edge. She took the gloves off after. They were thin enough to work with.

They are a bit rough on the outer surface but I would have to think this would be good coming up on a boat using a ladder.

All in all, thanks again for the pair you sent me last year.
She will do a full write up on hber blog featuring them with a link to you.

FYI, my LDS has been learning some new things from us and we can't wait to tell them about your gloves.

About all the naysaying or skeptical people out there. Life is about new ideas, they are good. Or we would all still be living in caves grunting. Not everyone has the same needs or expectations that's why commerce flourishes in America. While these may not be for everyone, wife is still going to use them but she requests some flashy colors to accesorize with, maybe pink or yellow.

Thanks for the awesome review! Darkfin sales are doing fantastic and we get a 99% positive feed back. We have shipped gloves to almost every country in the world.

Please tell your wife, who is obviously very intelligent, that colors will be comming in the near future, but PINK? How about Blufin, or Yelofin, or maybe even a Tigerfin, but I can't promise a Pinkfin.

YOUR GONNA LUV THIS GLOVE http://www.darkfingloves.com

Yes, undoubtedly the endorsment of your product is the ultimate test of one's intelligence. :doh:

Hey if you really want to sell a buch of them you should put an ad in the back of Popular Mechanics - right next to the lawnmower powered helicopters and the sea monkeys. :rofl3:

Yes, undoubtedly the endorsment of your product is the ultimate test of one's intelligence. :doh:

Hey if you really want to sell a buch of them you should put an ad in the back of Popular Mechanics - right next to the lawnmower powered helicopters and the sea monkeys. :rofl3:

Hey now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom