JetFin/Turtle size help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
If it helps here is a side by side comparison I did of the XL Jets, Turtles and XXL Jets with pictures of the footpockets

http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html

The turtles are just slightly smaller than the XXL Jets - and I can wear either of them comfortably with size XXXL Ranger boots (which are a full lug soled bootie approx 13-14 shoe size)

Tim

Many many many thanks Tim...well done. What a great comparison shot. And I must add that the pics on scenicmaui are tremendous...currious, what camera was used in some of the moonlight shots...assuming digital. If not, medium format?

Randy

I currently wear a 3mm neoprene boot that is size 13 with XL Mares Volo fins. This combo fits me pretty well. I'm looking to buy Jet fins. Based on the chart I'm guessing I'll probably need XXL Jet fins. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Walter:
I think Spectre told me he wore size 9 rock boots and used the XL Jet.

Yea... I do. But I've also figured out that length really doesn't have much to do with it. It's really about the cross sectional size of the foot. Some people work with size 9, some don't. I've heard size 10's that fit, I've heard size 8's that don't.

IIRC, the Turtle is between the XL and XXL jetfins.

JRK - Thanks - I use a Canon D300 (digital rebel) 6.5mp in raw mode with a 50mm 1.8f lens on a tripod (my hands are not steady enough for those 20 second shutter speeds lol)

Tim

Beir - When I was wearing a 3mil soft bootie size 13 I almost fit into the XL Jet, it was just slightly too narrow, but a number of guys here just spray silicone spray into the fin and slide it on snugly. The XXL was WAY too big for the soft soled 3mil boot, so I had to find a larger boot. At first I wore a pair of cheap velcro tennis shoes from K-Mart which fit perfectly, but am thrilled with the High Tide Ranger boots - really nice for walking over lava rock trying to get into the water here. They are a 7mil boot with a thick stiff sole, which seems to an excellent fitl with the XXL Jets or the Turtles.

Tim.

P.S. I kept all three pair for buddies to use, but I get the ss spring straps on the XXL Jets, all the others just have bungee spring straps (cheap alternative that works well and is semi-adjustable)

I got a buddy who was having the same issue. He now wears a really thin neoprene sock, and wears the old style converse canvas hi-tops, and he really loves it. especially for walking on the rocks, and they are alot cheaper than rock boots.
kidspot:
Beir - When I was wearing a 3mil soft bootie size 13 I almost fit into the XL Jet, it was just slightly too narrow, but a number of guys here just spray silicone spray into the fin and slide it on snugly. The XXL was WAY too big for the soft soled 3mil boot, so I had to find a larger boot. At first I wore a pair of cheap velcro tennis shoes from K-Mart which fit perfectly, but am thrilled with the High Tide Ranger boots - really nice for walking over lava rock trying to get into the water here. They are a 7mil boot with a thick stiff sole, which seems to an excellent fitl with the XXL Jets or the Turtles.

Tim.

P.S. I kept all three pair for buddies to use, but I get the ss spring straps on the XXL Jets, all the others just have bungee spring straps (cheap alternative that works well and is semi-adjustable)

Very nice job, thanks for the effort. I have size 11 feet and wear XL jets with wetsuit booties, a tad big, but they wont fit my drysuit boots. For the boots I went to the Turtle, which works but is a bit loose.

Hey manufacturers, how about looking into drysuit boot fin sizes?

kidspot:
If it helps here is a side by side comparison I did of the XL Jets, Turtles and XXL Jets with pictures of the footpockets

http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html

The turtles are just slightly smaller than the XXL Jets - and I can wear either of them comfortably with size XXXL Ranger boots (which are a full lug soled bootie approx 13-14 shoe size)

Tim

Great information! Thanks!

kidspot:

Tim.

Bucaneer - I like the idea of some old Converse tennis shoes, unfortunately when I priced them here the cheapest I could find any canvas shoes were about $45 and the converse brand were $50-$60 OUCH. I remember as a kid they were the "cheap" $10 shoes at the store. I guess now they are considered "classics"

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom