Jimmy Buffett

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More years ago than I care to mention, I found myself in Key West. I went in to Margaritaville and the hostess who sat me said "You're in luck, the house band is playing tonight & there is no cover charge." What she referred to as the "house band" was Jimmy Buffett, Mac McAnally, Roger Guth Michael Utley, and a couple of the other Coral Reefers. Heck of a "house band"!

Ten years ago, when I retired, I opened my Retirement Speech with a quote from "He went to Paris":

"Wow … 30 years how do you sum up a 30-year career when I only have the
room for a few hours? Perhaps the poet / philosopher Jimmy Buffett said it best:

“Some of its magic
Some of it’s tragic
But I had a good life all the way.” "

A little while later, I closed it by quoting "Changes in Latitudes/Changes in Attitudes":

"But its time to wrap things up and I can’t think of a better way to end this little
chat than the way I started, with some wit and wisdom from Jimmy Buffett:

“Oh, yesterdays over my shoulder
So I can't look back for too long
There's just too much to see waiting in front of me
And I know that I just can't go wrong.”

Thank you all so very, very much for 30 wonderful years."

As a final thought, you can always tell when I am having an amazing dive. I start to hum Jimmy Buffett songs through my reg.

For many of us, Jimmy Buffett's music was the soundtrack of our travels throughout the islands and our dreams. If you have not read his books, I highly recommend them. I once saw an interview (perhaps it was on 60 Minutes?) where Jimmy Buffett said he was as much a workaholic as the people on Wall Street. He just did it in more comfortable shoes.

I went to two Jimmy Buffett concerts in Las Vegas years ago. They were proceeded by a daytime "Margaritaville" with many hundreds of parrot-heads enjoying the music and the drinks and socializing. I was always struck by the multi generational makeup of the crowd swept up in the ambiance. By the evening concert we were tired out, but the energy created by Jimmy and band on stage revitalized.

Back
Top Bottom