Jimmy Buffett

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On every dive trip to warmer water (normally the Caribbean) I always think about “Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes”

It is reported on Buffet's Website that he died of Merkel cell carcinoma, a rare but aggressive skin cancer that is often mistaken for benign conditions. The the Mayo Clinic says the primary cause of Merkel cell carcinoma is excessive exposure to natural or artificial sunlight; same for melanoma which is very common.

Divers in or visit the tropics should get checked by a good dermatologist at least annually. I have had four melanomas, thankfully all found early and removed. I make up a knife fight story for each one they take off because they excise a large area around them when found.

They key is finding a really good derm doc AND to make sure the sample is sent to a really good pathologist — I use UCSF and Stanford for a second opinion. False positives are painful and inconvenient, false negatives can kill you. The doc I see is known as the melanoma queen.

I have spent very little time in the tropics but burn very easily.

He came to see the final space shuttle launch (STS135) in 2011 and played for all of us there at the post launch gathering in the vehicle assembly building. A great memory.

I was in the dive bar-ish clubhouse last week at Cocoview thinking that Buffet would be right at home.

Next day found out he had died the day before.

"As the poets have mournfully sung,
Death takes the innocent young,
The rolling-in-money,
The screamingly-funny,
And those who are very well hung." W H Auden

RIP Jimmy, thanks for the music!

A few decades ago I would have thought the hazards of the "Jimmy Buffett lifestyle" were margaritas and reefer. It turns out the biggest hazard was the sun.

A few decades ago I would have thought the hazards of the "Jimmy Buffett lifestyle" were margaritas and reefer. It turns out the biggest hazard was the sun.
I personally think that a lot more folks these days could just lighten up a bit and maybe even actually benefit from a couple of margaritas and some reefer.......and some Cheese Burgers in Paradise! Either way, life is way too short to spend any time worrying and judging any one else's lifestyle. Live life to it's fullest and enjoy every single minute!

And......I personally have found that SCUBA divers in general tend to embrace that concept. Maybe it's because as divers, we have the awesome and humbling understanding that we are really just plankton in the whole scheme of things...

SCUBA divers in general tend to embrace that concept. as divers, we have the awesome and humbling understanding that we are really just plankton
agree

Back
Top Bottom