Joint Pain and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight once bubbled...
I am no medic, but it seems from experience that joint problems frequently get worse after diving. My guess is it is the combination of cold, handling tanks and climbing laders.

There's a sying that goes... "Life begins at 40...it's just too bad all the parts are wore out."

I have a couple of old sports injuries that I've wondered the same thing a couple of times. But it has always been an inflammation of an old spot (and, coincidently, in cold water).

Doc? Is there statistical evidence that old injuries are more susceptable to DCS, even well within the major agency recreational tables, or is it anecdotal & coincidental?

To the best of my limited knowledge, the scientific evidence for increased DCS risk in joints with old injuries is not compelling.

Nevertheless, it is prudent to take all reasonable precautions to prevent stressing or retraumatizing such joints while diving.

When a joint with old injury becomes significantly painful while on a dive trip, in the absence of a clearly identifiable cause the matter is best sorted out by a dive medicine physician.

I think BillP's reply above is a good one and worth rereading.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I really thank you all for the information. The best advice was simply to call DAN. They were quick and helpful and full of information and resources in which to help. I will be joining soon.

Jimi

Back
Top Bottom