July 30 Lake Pleasant outing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's too bad. Those things usually pass pretty quickly, though. And once they pass, the pain is gone. So, you should be good to go. BTW, are you going to have tanks prior to that, or do you need someone to pick them up for you? I'm going by Sport Chalet that AM and can grab some for you if you like. Let me know.

I'm going to be out at the lake both Sat and Sun mornings. Probably off two cow or desert tortoise. My wife has a couple of students and wants me to play DM for her.

I will at least make it by to say hi.

Rob, we need to compare notes on the Key Largo dives. JD and I had a great time on the wrecks when we were down there.

Craig

Craig, our experience was a little different in KL, but I think I know why. We'll talk this weekend.

Hope ya'll have a good turn out at the lake, I can't make it this time. Gotta trip to Anacapa to go to this weekend, but if you have another one next month or so I'll be there.

Michael

Michael, we're already planning more get-togethers every month. We'll be there on Aug 26 & 27, and then Sep 23 & 24. Try to come out one or all of those days if you can.

I see nobody has posted to this thread since Sunday, so I thought I'd post a quick informal trip report. Despite the heavy morning clouds that looked like a thunderstorm moving in, about 15 to 20 members showed up at the lake on Sunday July 30th. I was one of the four that dove. The rest spent the time swimming, kayaking, and catching some rays (the clouds started clearing around noon). This was my first time in Lake Pleasant, but based on what I've heard the conditions were about average for this time of year. The surface temperature was in the 80's and visibility was between 5 and 10 feet until we hit the thermocline around 30 feet, then it was as if someone had suddenly turned off the lights, and startlingly cold too. If you're planning on diving the lake any time soon, I'd recommend staying above 29 feet. The coolest thing I saw was a flathead catfish almost two feet long hovering just above the bottom. He never moved even when we passed within just two or three feet of him. In the words of one of the other divers (I think it was Garrett), it was as if the fish was saying, "This is my spot. Go find your own." There was also a large school of fish at one point, which Doug said was the biggest school he'd ever seen in the lake. I missed seeing it, probably because the fish were on the left and I was on the right side of the group, so they may have been just beyond the range of visibility for me. After our two dives, we all stopped by Wild Horses for burgers and beer. All in all, it was a good day for diving, a pleasant surprise considering that it had started off looking like rain.

Eric, was nice to meet you this weekend. Look forward to diving with you soon.

jcf

Back
Top Bottom