Just Booked Flights for 9 Days, 8/27, Hotel Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1967Goat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been to Mexico probably over 15 times since the mid 1990's, but this is my first time going to COZ to dive. I started out going to Cancun about 1993 with my parents, but stopped going there about 2009 or so...It just became too "Americanized". Over the last 5 years or so we've gone to Playa del Carmen 4 times (I now have a family of my own). My wife and kids really, really like the place in Playa we go to, but the diving in Playa is just OK, and I usually pay extra to go to COZ to dive. The dive op I usually use in PDC goes to COZ 2 - 3 times per week, and there is a small up-charge.

I only have about 35 dives or so under my belt, but I am very, very comfortable under water. I've gone to 90' 3 or 4 times with my trusted DM with zero issues. Never had any kind of bad experience in the water. Since my last trip in November I've bought some new G250V's from @buddhasummer back in January, got a freedom plate from @Eric Sedletzky and some great condition MK10's locally that I should have back in a few days from being serviced by @rsingler .

I wanted to take advantage of the ridiculously low prices and sneak away for a few days to COZ by myself. The wife is having none of that. If I go, her and our kids (8 & 9) must also go. Kiddo's love the pool and wife loves pool and sandy beach. I know COZ is different than other destinations as they generally don't have a lot of wide open beaches and cater more to divers.

I just booked Frontier from Denver direct to CUN for ~$200 Roundtrip!!! Aug 27 - Sep 5. (Yes, I am very familiar with hurricane season) I can get a screaming deal right now for Hotel Cozumel on Expedia, but I am wondering if there's a moderately priced option the family would like more.

My criteria is as follows (most important first)
1. Top priority is dive op on site. Worst case I know can get picked up on a pier, but since it's just me diving I'd really prefer to have the op on site.
2. Decent sized pool. Kids/wife will be in the pool area from 8 AM - 5 PM every day. A good sized pool is a must. (This knocked Blue Angel out of contention.)
3. A bit of a beach (must for wife). I understand this is a limiting factor. It does not need to be a big beach...just a little bit of sand.
4. Shore diving would be a huge plus. I have lots of new gear, and being able to stay close to shore and work on my skills would really be great. Not a deal breaker though.
5. Wife likes all inclusive. We are not "foodies" by any means, and wife likes the simplicity of AI. Buffets are fine with us. No AI is not a deal breaker though.

I won't throw out the price for Hotel Cozumel on Expedia, but it's CHEAP, and very well regarded here. Diving not included in that price obviously.

Should I look at another place, or just go ahead and book Hotel Cozumel?

Hotel Cozumel sounds like it checks all the boxes for you. The pool is one of the largest and nicest on the island. I've stayed there both AI and non-AI. Dive op onsite. Dive Paradise runs the bigger boats but see about a small upcharge for a smaller faster boat. HC is probably the best "value" but not highest quality. Convenient, for sure. If you do AI I'd still recommend a few trips into town for dinner. Iberostar would fit the bill as well but they aren't opening until November.

If you’re batting hotel coz prices at around $80-85 a night then I would say plug for that. I have other suggestions that tick all the boxes and include all the diving, but it’s going to likely be triple that at least will make your wife/kids v happy and a steal compared to regular rates, but not cheap compared to HC ..also there is the iberostar, but it is closed till nov, so that isn’t an alternative to consider.

Have a blast!

if it takes a beach to keep the family happy then hotel coz is not what you want. you will have to look at all inclusive resorts south of town. sunscape, iberostar, occidental etc. other than that, we love it at hotel coz.

51865B47-871D-48A1-A192-1D13E917D223.jpeg

Hotel Cozumel is my home away from home due to location, price & the great staff who look after my wife while I'm off diving. This is my photo tour which may convince your wife it works or doesn't work as the needed sand box. https://flic.kr/s/aHskS8V7Ew

@Ministryofgiraffes what hotel is that?

Slight change of topic here...since we'll be there for 9 days I can "explore" other hotels for when we come back. What other hotels have good sized pools and a little/lot of sand on their beach? My wife will be OK for this trip, but it will take some work to convince her to stray from our current place in Playa.

I am hoping my boys take to diving and we outnumber her in a few years. :D

if it takes a beach to keep the family happy then hotel coz is not what you want. you will have to look at all inclusive resorts south of town. sunscape, iberostar, occidental etc. other than that, we love it at hotel coz.

Thanks! We'll definitely look at more expensive resorts while we're there for this trip (see above). This is a last minute getaway on the cheap.

Sunscape Sabor checks most of your boxes. Dive Palancar is on-site & picks up at Secrets pier which is the resort next door. 2 good size pools, a large beach area, all inclusive, kids club & activities team. No shore diving, some snorkeling in swim area. Orbitz has some really good prices right now. Looks like you could get a suite for 2 adults & 2 kids for $109/ nt, all inclusive.

Attachments

• CD57E93B-D511-4CD2-A5B6-4DB9683F34A5.jpeg
    CD57E93B-D511-4CD2-A5B6-4DB9683F34A5.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 69
  • D574D904-5017-4363-B1D8-7D262CB16F5C.jpeg
    D574D904-5017-4363-B1D8-7D262CB16F5C.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 65
@Ministryofgiraffes what hotel is that?

Slight change of topic here...since we'll be there for 9 days I can "explore" other hotels for when we come back. What other hotels have good sized pools and a little/lot of sand on their beach? My wife will be OK for this trip, but it will take some work to convince her to stray from our current place in Playa.

I am hoping my boys take to diving and we outnumber her in a few years. :D

I doubt any other resort has a pool more than a quarter the size of the one at Hotel Cozumel in surface area. I've heard they used it to put the dolphins in during a past hurricane. The southern AI resorts may not have as large of a pool but some have multiple pools and they are generally curvy which has a more interesting feel than the plain little rectangular pool found at many places. Iberostar's has a few distinct sections that makes it feel larger than it probably is.

You might find hotels not amenable to you checking them out. I asked to look at Scuba Club once to evaluate for a future trip and they wouldn't let me in. A friend said they tried to check out Allegro and they were also denied.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom