Just Booked Flights for 9 Days, 8/27, Hotel Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Grand and others south of town are not open yet. The Grand Occidental will open Nov 1.

Great beach. Two pools.
Nightly entertainment.
Rather good AI meals.
Alcohol included
Nice big rooms.
Great Dive sites Minutes away!
Pro Dive on site. About $38/tank free Nitrox.

we usually stay 8 nights and the cost for the room, food, alcohol and use of premises runs +/- $1100.00 US. Just can’t beat that deal...and we still hit up a few local restaurants for dinner.

239FDACC-0599-4C4E-9ED6-341699E92826.jpeg
0EA920D1-CA08-419C-8ED4-3E16B7F2FABA.jpeg
6A80FD9E-F0C0-411F-B8B2-E5232E2170F2.jpeg
@Ministryofgiraffes what hotel is that?

Slight change of topic here...since we'll be there for 9 days I can "explore" other hotels for when we come back. What other hotels have good sized pools and a little/lot of sand on their beach? My wife will be OK for this trip, but it will take some work to convince her to stray from our current place in Playa.

I am hoping my boys take to diving and we outnumber her in a few years. :D]
239FDACC-0599-4C4E-9ED6-341699E92826.jpeg
0EA920D1-CA08-419C-8ED4-3E16B7F2FABA.jpeg
6A80FD9E-F0C0-411F-B8B2-E5232E2170F2.jpeg

Presidente.

I think Hotel Cozumel will satisfy the family for an affordable vacation based on your expectations. I toured the place in March when I was planning for next year with my kids in mind. Pretty good value for sure and walkable to town.

In general the Hotels/resorts on Cozumel do not compare to the mainland (based on layout,size,grandeur,beaches) however you gain spectacular sunsets, exceptionally friendly locals , lower room rates and incredible diving options.

As mentioned Occidental and Iberostar would be more like the mainland Resorts but they are not open and far from town. I found most hotels were willing to allow me to tour their properties back in March but they may have changed their policies due to covid.

Our family has stayed many times between Playa del Carmen and Tulum but have been leaning more towards Cozumel the past few years. We have enjoyed both Cozumel Palace and El Cid la Ceiba and would recommend both but the pools are smaller and beach area small as well. Fiesta Americana is an option as well.

Regardless of where you stay , you and the family will enjoy it. Be sure to take a day off from diving to take a visit to the east side and Punta Sur. A tour of the island will likely make the family forget all about Playa:)

OK this album shows the waterfront areas / beaches at the resorts & most beach clubs from the southern edge of downtown to Punta Sur. Jim Lyle was able to arrange my look at Scuba Club on my last trip. Several resorts have let me in over the years after begging a bit to do the photo tours.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmCGGVe2

OK this album shows the waterfront areas / beaches at the resorts & most beach clubs from the southern edge of downtown to Punta Sur. Jim Lyle was able to arrange my look at Scuba Club on my last trip. Several resorts have let me in over the years after begging a bit to do the photo tours.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmCGGVe2
Nice compilation.....KUDOS!

It's too bad you knock Blue Angel for the pool. It's perfect size for most and not used much. The dive op is great as are the staff. Might I recommend you stop by and check the place out when you are in CZM if not for the great food, the great view.

As for Hotel Cozumel. Stayed there about a year ago. The place was fine. A long walk to our room. The pool was large but almost no one used it, everyone was in the hot tub which was gross but they emptied it every morning. They had some shore for beaches. I hated that I had to cross the street or use the tunnel for breakfast or to hit the dive shop.

If Blue Angel was full I'd stay there again.

What about Fiesta Americana? I have not been there in years and it's been upgraded (and gotten far more expensive) since. But it also checks the boxes.

This is a good thread. My fiance does not dive, and although we do not have kids, her requirements would be very similar to go to Coz, so this is perfect.

If you’re batting hotel coz prices at around $80-85 a night then I would say plug for that. I have other suggestions that tick all the boxes and include all the diving, but it’s going to likely be triple that at least will make your wife/kids v happy and a steal compared to regular rates, but not cheap compared to HC ..also there is the iberostar, but it is closed till nov, so that isn’t an alternative to consider.

Have a blast!

As always, thanks for the pics and details. I know you mentioned the Presidente, but what other resorts would fall into your description there?

Sunscape Sabor checks most of your boxes. Dive Palancar is on-site & picks up at Secrets pier which is the resort next door. 2 good size pools, a large beach area, all inclusive, kids club & activities team. No shore diving, some snorkeling in swim area. Orbitz has some really good prices right now. Looks like you could get a suite for 2 adults & 2 kids for $109/ nt, all inclusive.

Just to clarify, Palancar is on site for the watersports (snorkeling, paddle boards, etc.) at both resorts only. I got certified with palancar when I was 12 years old, and they were still at the Allegro. AM resorts has their own dive shop.

My wife and I stayed at Secrets in November, and their on site shop is Dive House. We didn't dive with them due to big boats, limited bottom time, etc. We got picked up everyday by ScubaTony instead.

I stayed at HC a few years ago and thought it was so-so. Food was just okay, rooms were just okay, pool was big but no beach view. When diving, it was fine to come back to for lunch and the evening. If I wasn't a diver, i would want to be down in the resort area.

Shorter boat rides to the reef too!

Just to clarify, Palancar is on site for the watersports (snorkeling, paddle boards, etc.) at both resorts only. I got certified with palancar when I was 12 years old, and they were still at the Allegro. AM resorts has their own dive shop.

My wife and I stayed at Secrets in November, and their on site shop is Dive House. We didn't dive with them due to big boats, limited bottom time, etc. We got picked up everyday by ScubaTony instead.

I stayed at HC a few years ago and thought it was so-so. Food was just okay, rooms were just okay, pool was big but no beach view. When diving, it was fine to come back to for lunch and the evening. If I wasn't a diver, i would want to be down in the resort area.

Shorter boat rides to the reef too!
Yes but you can set up your diving with Dive Palancar if you want/prefer....been diving with them from that location for several years.

Back
Top Bottom