Just Certified//

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neophyte//

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi.
Just received my certification a few weeks ago and looking to build my equipment. I was going to start with BC and regulator as I think those are personal items that should be owned to get the most comfort and familiarity. Now, I happen to have a chance to get a Suunto D9 Dive computer with air integration for less than $700. I was wondering if this is something that's a bit too overkill for a beginning recreational diver. Any advice from those with more experience (which would probably encompass everyone on this board), would be appreciated.

I don't know that computer well enough to know If its "overkill" , but that sure seems like a lot of money to spend on a first computer.
a) are you sure you want air integration? Many people do not like it.
b) what kind of diving and how often?
c) are you sure you want a "wrist watch" style computer. Small screen and I would generally prefer not wearing my dive computer all day etc. ..Or might not work well with dry suit.
d) Lots of good options out there in the $300 range that you will not outgrow for a long time.

Welcome to SB. A great place to be and learn. Don't be afraid to speak up.

For me my first purchase was my wetsuit. the rentals stank and I did not want to get someone else's cooties. I barely have just a little bit more experience than you so I can't really offer any advice other than see if you can try in a pool before you buy. BCD's differ so much. And computers look fine in the air but underwater its a different. I might have purchased something different if I had tried it before buying.

True about the wetsuit, I couldn't see going commando under a rental. I decided against the D9, I have better things to spend that money on. Thanks for the input.

i bought my regs and bcd and bought the aqualung i 300 dive computer it was only 300 Canadian and this way i only bought an spg and saved money on a depth gauge because computer takes care of that ,next purchase is a drysuit for me

As for a computer i picked up the oceanic veo 1.0 does what you need it to on the day :)

Hi Neo,

I am sure it took every diver several years to work out what is best for them equipment wise as will be the case with you. To try and get is almost right is almost impossible when a novice.

My advice to all novice divers is this:
Resist the urge you are having to buy NOW!! Patience is the key.
On every dive trip you go on, rent different brands of equipment.
Give each piece of equipment you rent a rating out of 10, just after your dive, make notes in your logbook.
After 20 or so dives you have a fair idea of what you find functional yet comfortable.
Go back to your logbook. Equipment rated from 8 out of 10 and upward is what you would want to buy. Given your financial situation choose the equipment to suit your pocket and buy it piece by piece as funds are available or buy it all at once if able.
Walk into a dive shop with a list of items you know works for you. The salesperson might try and convince you otherwise due to you being a novice. Your list is your list.

Also try out various dive computers for hire at charters before making a decision. It is one of the more important items on your list to get right.

Happy diving

If you wear glasses to read I would recommend a computer with a screen big enough and font size big enough to read underwater, something like Mares Nemo Wide Dive Computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom