Just for fun - Electroluminescent lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sly New Girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm in the process of working out how to use my EL wire to light up a few things on night dives. I think the ambient lighting will be way nicer than waving a dive light around. I'm interested to see what the little squid and other critters think of it too. They seem fascinated by light almost as much as I'm fascinated by their curiosity.

I have 18 ft. of white and and 18 ft of blue EL wire, both 3m, with an 8pak driver (8AA batteries in an inverter box) with a switch on the side of the housing.

I've figured out that I need to thread the wire through aquarium tubing that extends all the way to the driver box; seal the loose ends with caps and aquarium sealant and run them through holes into a bag or box of some kind.

In the interest of keeping the bulk to a minimum, and not buying anything, I want to install the units side by side in a vacuum seal bag. Let the sealant around the inside and out of the tubing cure and then seal the other end of the bag with our sealer. This way I can still slide the switch too.

I want to then whipstitch the tubing to an old swimskin that will go over my wetsuit with the driver tucked into a pocket I'm going to stitch on.

I'm thinking this will work. Or maybe not? Any ideas? Has anyone tried it? Btw, I'm not going beyond 45' so I don't think pressure is going to be a huge deal?

Sounds interesting to me. Please report back how it worked out for you!

I'm making Lehn buy an underwater camera so I can see what it looks like too. I'll post the pictures here! I want to look like one of those floating things that comes up from the deepest depths at night. They look like aliens to me. :)

Abyss_NTI_being.jpg

Exactly 4sak3n :p I've almost got everything but the stitching with 4 lb test green spider wire. I have to do it by hand because the last time I put it in my moms sewing machine it made a freaking mess. If it works I'm going to be get tons more EL wire and light myself up like a space ship.

Back
Top Bottom