Kauai Shore Dive Jan 15/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjscott

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello. I have NAUI Openwater I and will be visiting Kauai Jan 14-17, looking for a buddy for a beach dive somewhere easy and scenic. Not first time in HI but first time on Kauai, been a few years since last dive. Thoughts?

Koloa Landing. Easy shore entry and close to Sea Sport Divers where you can rent what you need.

Koloa Landing will likely be the only spot you'll want to consider that time of year. I always encourage newer divers to weigh the pros and cons of doing a self guided tour from shore. It is a very safe spot to dive and relatively easy to navigate but the added value of having an experienced divemaster to show you all the amazing resident critters is hard to argue. Over 10 years of diving on the island I have heard countless divers tell me they dove the landing and "didn't see anything interesting there." On the flip side, many divers say it was there favorite guided dive and even enjoyed it more than boat tours they had done. Maybe you'd consider meeting in the middle and doing a one tank with a guide and then renting for additional dives. There are so many considerations into making the choice (not the least of which is experience/comfort) that I just wanted to add some considerations. It is easy entry especially if there isn't swell (rare in winter) though. Navigation is north/south and natural contours can be followed with relative ease. You will want open heal fins as the entry calls for boots getting in and out. Maximum depth you are likely to reach is 40ft.

I hate to see divers struggle (an all to often site at the landing) and just want to be sure you have a great experience at a really great critter dive location. One way or the other let me know if I can help out with your decision further. I personally work for Sea Sport divers next to the landing and have been diving hear for 12 years. I think you'll find a very high quality of dive professionals here and numerous shops - DM's that would be more than happy to help you in any way that you may need.

Happy New Year to you!

A

AquamanKauai,

Very true and I should have made the same recommendation. When we first did that dive last year, we hired someone to take us out and show us around. I am glad we did. We saw so much more than if we had just "puttered" around.

Koloa Landing is definitely the spot you will want to go. Recommend taking a guided tour to get the lay of the land as well as pointers on what to look for and where to find it. After taking a tour there, you should be fine for renting and D-I-Y!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom