Keep your hoses to yourself!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This thread is probably going to make me the most flamed newbie on this forum since other than the 4 dives to get my Open Water certification, I don't have any open water experience. Zilch.

Anyway, I've been observing how a lot of divers do not pay attention to their hose routing and use clips to tidy them up. Also, many have hoses which are too long and end up bowing all over the place.

I don't think you need to be a wreck or cave diver to practice and appreciate proper hose routing or to make sure that your gauge is secured close to your body. Don't think anyone's weird enough to attempt to have an overly long high pressure hose balance out the overly long intermediate pressure one to the 2nd stage and make two mistakes at the same time, is there?

By the way, I'm not talking about divers using rented gear because there's only so much you can do and I know that some dive shop staff / operators are constantly on the lookout for divers messing around with rented gear and the paranoid consider rearranging hose placement as 'messing' too.

Was referring to an alarmingly high number of 'professionals' featured in diving magazines with their alternate air sources and gauges dangling a distance away from their body. In many cases, the hoses were overly long as well and not routed / secured properly to prevent snagging.

<rant over> Where was I? :D

How's this for hose routing?

Baby Doubles.jpg

One in, one out, works for me.

Bob
----------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Eh, I tend to enjoy diving and don't worry about how other people have their gear rigged. It's none of my business unless it's strangling a coral head or have it wrapped around their head (and yes, I saw a student pull that trick off - it was delightful). I always found it's best to be concerned about my own form and not someone else's. Tends to bring a lot of unwanted attention and ridicule.

Looks like the old style two hose systems were neater, huh? :D

This thread is probably going to make me the most flamed newbie on this forum since other than the 4 dives to get my Open Water certification, I don't have any open water experience. Zilch. . . . Anyway, I've been observing how a lot of divers do not pay attention to their hose routing and use clips to tidy them up. Also, many have hoses which are too long and end up bowing all over the place. . . . I don't think you need to be a wreck or cave diver to practice and appreciate proper hose routing or to make sure that your gauge is secured close to your body. Don't think anyone's weird enough to attempt to have an overly long high pressure hose balance out the overly long intermediate pressure one to the 2nd stage and make two mistakes at the same time, is there?
I don't think this post will / should get you flamed at all. In fact, I applaud you, as a new diver, for a) noticing these kinds of things, and b) realizing that hose routing can be considerably improved. Good for you!
Was referring to an alarmingly high number of 'professionals' featured in diving magazines with their alternate air sources and gauges dangling a distance away from their body. In many cases, the hoses were overly long as well and not routed / secured properly to prevent snagging.
And, that sloppy hose routing / hose clipping / hose stowage and suboptimal hose length selection is equally apparent in the water. So, you now know what 'bad' looks like. I wish other new divers, and more than a few instructors, did as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom