Key Largo and Rainbow Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In watching them, I would think they would be an excellent place to get your AOW. They have kind of an interesting training program for their interns and it looks as though they are doing AOW's often and effectively from the classes I observed in passing....unlike the one I took years ago in Ft Lauderdale (waste of money...the only thing I got out of it was a card) The instructors that I saw seemed very on the ball and I was very pleased with how they handled my girlfriends certification (I stayed with them for all their dives as a bit of a tag along)

Wetsuit is a personal choice in my very humble opinion, I almost never wear one (keeps me honest) and I have enough bioprene to be able to stay very comfy at any temp over 70 degrees. I would think that unless you are very thin or prone to cold a skin should be fine in July.

Tell em Jeff sent ya =) Never know, they might send me some kickbacks =)

I was looking at them for our first Key experience - do they seem like a good place to get AOW done? There prices make it sound like a no brainer to have fun and learn at the same time.
Also - for July will a 3mm full be over kill or should I pick up a shorty? I have a chance for a cheap one for $30

My only experience with RR is a dive when their cattle boat was full. That's not criticism, just the way it was. I've read here on SB that they use trainees for much of their operations. Again, not criticism and not even personally confirmed. However, if I were adding frogman badges I'd select Quiescence. Of the shops I've used for training in K.L. they're the only one still in business. And they're damned good. And safe, And thorough. Got my N2 card there some years ago. If my wife was going for training that's where I'd insist she go.

As for a wetsuit: I'd wear a 2MM SHORTY in July. Four+ dives a day, I'd add a hood. But I'm a wimp. One week from today I'll be wearing a 3MM shorty (and a hood after two dives if doing more than three or more dives a day).

Jeff, thanks so much for the glowing review, you know we loved having you and Loren with us and can't wait for you to return for more! To answer a few questions posted:

(and in the interest of full disclosure, I'm an employee at Rainbow)

We have training in everything from bubble maker to instructor training, so any questions in that direction can be fielded by giving us a call or checking our website; Dive Key Largo, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving We would be happy to go over what the AOW course consists of and help you plan your trip.

Our instructors are ALL PADI certified instructors, let there be no confusion there. We run an ongoing instructor training program and when our instructors become certified to do so on their own, they teach classes (as with all PADI training centers). There are no "trainees" teaching anything, but sometimes our instructors in training work with our course directors in assisting with courses, which is part of their education. Everyone who works on our boats are at minimum Rescue divers and most are Divemasters or Instructors. I just wanted to clear that up so there is no confusion on who does certifications at our operation or how we operate.

There are many dive operators in town who have small boats in their fleet and we are one of them. In addition to our 2 40' boats (A Newton and a Burpee) we have a 12 pack boat for people who prefer a smaller boat experience. We are happy to try and accommodate whatever preference our divers have as far as boat size and number of divers per boat, but of course that is on a first come, first served basis.

As far as what to wear in July, we have divers who wear full 3mm suits at that point and we have some that wear just bathing suits. That really is up to the individual, although I would stress that some sort of protection is advisable if you will be diving any of the wrecks in case one accidentally brushes up against something sharp.

I hope this helps answer some questions and happy diving!

-Suzette
Rainbow Reef Dive Center
Key Largo, FL
Facebook: Rainbow Reef Dive Center

Jeff (and suzette),
No trashing meant for RR. I'll be lodging 100' from them in another week or so. Maybe even diving with them, IF they take walk-ups; they used to. But my experiences are with Quiescence and Tavernier Dive Center-now long gone. And what I've read here on SB.

Didn't sound like trashing to me, just your opinion based on your experience and input from people you know. I think we all get passionate about organizations we find that we feel are doing it right (if only it were more common)

BTW, love your signature about the Senslus. 14 Billion+ dollars put towards something that can be obtained from existing public records =) (3B wasted on hand held computers that proved unreliable and therefore are not being used)

Jeff (and suzette),
No trashing meant for RR. I'll be lodging 100' from them in another week or so. Maybe even diving with them, IF they take walk-ups; they used to. But my experiences are with Quiescence and Tavernier Dive Center-now long gone. And what I've read here on SB.

I didn't interpret that at all as trashing- I just wanted to clarify, as I've seen some misinformation posted in the past and am in a position now to fully understand and report how things work here. We certainly take walk ups (space permitting) and would love to see you when you're here- at least stop at the kiosk and say hello- I'm here every day except Mon and Tues (then I'm on the boat diving if the weather is nice!)

Happy diving!

Suzette

I spent the day diving with Rainbow Reef and my experience was very good. Jardin (Divemaster) and Jeff (Dive guide/instructor) were very helpful. I also used Ocean Divers for a night dive, but I'd have to say my experience with Rainbow was much better. I guess it depends on who you have working on a particular day, but this was merely my experience. I am willing to try other operators in the area based on their itinerary, but I will not hesitate to use RR again.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom