Key Largo Diving Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just booked my trip to Key Largo! I'll be down there from the May 15-19. I will be diving with Conch Republic. I have made several trips to the Keys and have dove with maybe 6 differnt ops. This will be my second trip with Conch Republic as my last trip was great with them.

Ocean Divers runs a pretty large cattle boat. I would look into some of the smaller ops in the area.

Double "D";3524200:
We just booked a trip with Ocean Divers. We heard nothing but good reviews of that op. THis will be our first dives in the Keys, so, we are excited!

100% agree, I have used Silent World twice. The last time was earlier this month when my son did his O.W. cert dives with Pat. She and the rest of the staff were fantastic.

I did my PADI Advanced Certification with Pat at Silent World Dive Center in Key Largo last year. She was great! I was the only one doing a class and had lots of one on one time to get all my questions answered. We dove the Spiegel Grove, the Benwood, and a few sites on Elbow Reef. It was a blast! Chris helped me get my BP/W set up and adjusted properly in the AM before we went out, and talked to me about equipment choices and answered some of my questions about DIR. Their boats were comfortable, and only had 8 divers on each. I would not hesitate to dive with them again. Hope this helps. :D

Nick

I dove with Conch Republic last year (May 7th, I think) and it was a blast! Great service, beautiful dive, friendly staff and their office is easy to find. If every dive I have with them is as good as the first, I'll never dive with anyone else in Key Largo.

This year we are heading to Key West though. Booze and nightlife is on the agenda. We are going out to the Dry Tortugas though.

Double "D";3526896:
what's "pretty large"? Anybody else have experience with Ocean Divers? Thanks for the warning though..... I appreciate it.

Those large boats Ocean Divers has give it the advantage that they go out in seas that other boats simply can't. It's a good operation and unless you are diving on a summer weekend or on a holiday you won't have more than 10-12 divers on the boat.

Cheers.

-J.-

I was in the Keys a couple weekends ago and went out to the Spiegel Grove. I went out with Capt. Slate's Atlantis Dive Center and had a great time. It was a large boat, with capacity of maybe 20-24, but we only had 6 divers! The capt. and mate did a great job, and we had a paraplegic diver onboard. We lucked out with great conditions, no current to speak of and viz about 40'. It was the best wreck I have done to date. Sand is about 135' but there is plenty to see above 100'. I also dove the City of Washington, with is in shallow (35'?) water and is broken up but has a lot of great life on it. I saw a huge green moray!

Enjoy!
Lilla

PS: Capt. Slate's also does "creature features" where they feed the local wildlife, if you're interested in sharks (personally not my thing).

He is going to be there over a weekend in mid May. I was in the Keys MANY years ago in May and I recall a lot of people on the O.D. boat at that time.

Maybe someone with more recent experience can comment.

Those large boats Ocean Divers has give it the advantage that they go out in seas that other boats simply can't. It's a good operation and unless you are diving on a summer weekend or on a holiday you won't have more than 10-12 divers on the boat.

Cheers.

-J.-

The O.D. boats have been packed whenever I was on them. We also had some less then pleasant experiences with the boats. I won't be going back.

Danny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom