Key Largo Diving Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pick a day with less than 15 knots of wind, and take the whole family south of Marathon and find a boat that's headed out to Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary. The divers can dive while the snorkelers follow on the surface... awesome shallow spur and groove reef formation with loads of sealife!

Brent, when is the underwater music festival in Looe Key? Isn't that this time of year too? I went to that in 1999. That was cool, and you can spend all day at 30 feet on the reefs. Thanks.

Thanks Brent. Any LDS you'd recomend for tanks/weight or good dive operators in the area? Not sure of distance, drive times etc for the Keys area yet, as this new trip plan just happened yesterday and I'm only just starting trying to get my s-- together this morning.

Brent, when is the underwater music festival in Looe Key? Isn't that this time of year too? I went to that in 1999. That was cool, and you can spend all day at 30 feet on the reefs. Thanks.

The 24th Annual Underwater Music Festival is scheduled for Saturday July 12, 2008.

Thanks Brent. Any LDS you'd recomend for tanks/weight or good dive operators in the area? Not sure of distance, drive times etc for the Keys area yet, as this new trip plan just happened yesterday and I'm only just starting trying to get my s-- together this morning.

I've heard good things about Innerspace Dive Center over the years. They're located at mile marker 29.5 on Big Pine Key. Check 'em out at Welcome to Innerspace Dive Shop located on Big Pine Key Florida!

I REALLY like Key Dives (Key Dives Scuba Diving in Islamorada in the Florida Keys) in Islamorada, which is just a few minutes past Key Largo. They are at Bud & Mary's marina. It is more "off the beaten path" and most days they do a "deep" reef dive (45-60ft). They have a larger boat but run it so well that I don't mind; they provide multiple dive guides on the boat, which I don't normally prefer, but they do such a good job that I enjoy it. They run a non-smoking boat, that is very clean and comfortable. They also carry your gear from the shop the short distance to the marina next door, and take it back to the shop and wash it off; they will keep it overnight if you are staying over.

Brent- Hey, thanks for the suggestions on the ascent line- yeah, not much fun getting trampled. That hasn't been a big problem for us until now as we usually do 6packs- so- never had to worry about the line. We are for sure going to continue making the Key Largo a frequent dive location- we fell in love with the grove when diving it and with more time would like to see more of the keys. We dove french reef- not the most impressive reef ever- but we were really there for the wrecks.

Sorry about the AOW and OD misinformation- after chatting with the hubby, he did indicate that some of the other ops did accept log books instead of AOW for the grove, duane, bibb, etc. I can't remember which ones though. There were only 1 or 2 that made AOW mandatory. Either way, he is still getting the AOW b/c we are also planning some dives to the wrecks in NC and it will be easier that way (and a good skills refresher).

We've had a change in plans; we're going to stay in Key Largo instead of Marathon. It looks like it's @45 minute drive on to Marathon, and since all of the Keys is new territory to me we'll be poking around a lot and exploring while we're there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom