Key Largo Diving Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Key Largo, we did all of our dives with Scuba Doo located next to Ocean Divers. I had the privilege of paying $17 dollars for a nitrox fill from ocean divers. We immediately went exploring for better options after that and found Horizon Divers literally right across the canal. The staff was much more friendly and fills were $7. I was incredulous at the discrepancy as $5-7 is the norm here in PCB for membrane nitrox.

If Capt Mark and his First Mate Scott weren't the best operation the the Keys then there are some pretty amazing Captains and crew down there. As a Boat Captain and charter operator myself, that is saying alot. Scuba Doo was awesome and they won't pack you in, the boat is inspected for 13 divers but they won't take more than 10. Scuba Doo Charters, 522 Caribbean Dr.....(305) 451-3446

Agree 100% Key Largo vs Key West - both great destinations, IMO Key Largo best for diving

Consider in Key Largo HMS Minnow; a 6 pack located behind Holiday Inn - excellent operator; have dove w/ Jeff many times and if you dive w/ him 3 days you will not repeat sites unless you want to.

I agree with Pat, Horizon divers would be my choice very friendly bunch.

Double "D";3534604:
Hey guys, I really appreciate all the input on O.D. Its good to have opinions from multiple other divers. Oh, and btw, he is actually a she:wink:

I've done two multi-day trips with Ocean Divers in Apr 07 and Dec 07 and was quite happy with them (although we haven't used any other operators in Key Largo for comparison). It's true that they do run large boats, but they tend to be more crowded on weekends than during the week. They also run both boats on weekends (and all week during the summer), which helps divide things up. Even when the boat is relatively full, there's plenty of room onboard and I've also gone out with them only 3 divers (they'll go with just 2). The bigger boats mean that they're willing to go out in up to 8 ft seas for advanced divers, but they're still smart enough to call off the dive on site if the conditions are too bad (with full refunds). Our captains have been very knowledgeable about weather and water conditions and the divemasters have been very friendly and helpful if you ask for anything.

A couple of examples:

1) Last Apr, we were worried about some big weather coming in the next day, but the captain told us it was coming from the West and would probably be pretty calm on the reef since the Keys would block most of it. Next day, NOAA was predicting 5-7 ft seas - sure enough we get out to the Duane and it's nice and calm (2-3 ft) and our best dive of the week.

2) Last Dec, we had 4-5 ft seas topside for our first dive on the Duane. The captain took us to Winch Hole for our 2nd dive so we could get deep enough to avoid all the surge and it was another great, relaxing dive.

They have a dive shop right next to the dock, a dive locker under the stairs if you're diving multiple days, and there is also a decent restaurant right next door to grab lunch between dives. Divers Direct is just down the street, too.

Whatever you decide, hope you have a great trip!

I agree with Pat, Horizon divers would be my choice very friendly bunch.

You may want to read Pat's post again, he's suggesting to use Scuba Do.
He only mentioned Horizon because they have $7 nitrox fills (which is a steal in the Upper Keys).

I did my PADI Advanced Certification with Pat at Silent World Dive Center in Key Largo last year. She was great!

Pat and Silent World are great. Pat gave us recomendations for places to eat and not eat. Every place we went were great. Capt Bob and Joe who I did my checkout dives with were fantastic.

Thanks for all the advice! I just got back from an extended vacation with a few days in Key Largo. We ended up going with OD for 2 reasons- first- the thing about the OD boats being able to go to the grove in bigger seas- and since we had limited time, we didn't want to waste it. Secondly, even though the hubby is a great diver (multiple deep dives, great navigator, etc), he doesn't have his AOW- so OD was the only op that would let us dive.

So the trip report, the seas were calm and the current was minor- so a pretty easy dive. The OD staff were very professional, friendly, and made sure we had a good time. So, they were awesome. As many of you suggested, the boat was crowded- actually completely full. This was a negative, but, b/c of the above 2 reasons, it was not a huge bother. The only annoying this was the ascent. As were ascending on the line, there was a pack of divers 10 or so hanging off the line at the 15-20 foot mark. Instead of crowding, we took our time and were waiting at around 25-30 feet mark. After the group ahead of us started to ascend, we were going to move up, but got run over by some other divers not wanting to wait their turn. Oh well, that was not ODs' fault.

So, anyways, the hubby is now working on his AOW so that we won't have this problem in the future, and although OD ran a very good operation, we will be going with one of the other operators you guys have suggested on our next trip to Key Largo. But, overall, a really great trip. I really appreciate all the advice-

Thanks for a great trip report!

Most local dive ops (not just Ocean Divers) accept recent verifiable (logged) deep diving experience in lieu of AOW certification when qualifying divers for deep sites such as the Bibb, Duane, and Spiegel Grove.

One of the best solutions I've seen for conducting a safety stop on a crowded ascent line is a jon-line (carried in a BC pocket). Just clip or tie off to the ascent line at your planned stop depth, drop back 6-10', and hang on... sure beats being trampled, or pushed up or off the ascent line, by anxious divers... also minimizes the "bucking" motion of the dive boat yanking on the mooring line on a rough day!

Dive safely, have fun, and never stop learning!

I have never been to the Keys, but it looks like my gf is abt to book a place in Marathon for late June. The gf is not an avid diver: only OW and more of a snorkeler, but my teenagers and I would rather be diving than anything else. She will have her grandchildren, so they will be looking at snorkeling while we are diving. Not knowing the Keys at all I am looking for dive suggestions.

I have never been to the Keys, but it looks like my gf is abt to book a place in Marathon for late June. The gf is not an avid diver: only OW and more of a snorkeler, but my teenagers and I would rather be diving than anything else. She will have her grandchildren, so they will be looking at snorkeling while we are diving. Not knowing the Keys at all I am looking for dive suggestions.

Pick a day with less than 15 knots of wind, and take the whole family south of Marathon and find a boat that's headed out to Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary. The divers can dive while the snorkelers follow on the surface... awesome shallow spur and groove reef formation with loads of sealife!

More than 15 knots of wind? Drive south to Bahia Honda State Park (mile marker 37) and spend a day at one of the best beaches in the continental United States. Pack a picnic lunch, take along your snorkel gear, and check out both the Atlantic and Gulf sides of the park.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom