Key Largo mid-March, diving and snorkeling together, or snorkel only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it may be worth mentioning that with all the activity going on during the "creature feature," the bottom can get pretty stirred up, which if it does, I'm sure would make it difficult for snorkelers at the surface to see what's going on 30 ft. below. Worth considering.

Last edited:
Have you done it, Big G? I did it in October and reviewing my photos from the 90 minutes I spent underwater, I see NO reduced visibility. May I add that we had THREE boats full of divers on that particular feed, about 70 divers in the water.

Have you done it, Big G? I did it in October and reviewing my photos from the 90 minutes I spent underwater, I see NO reduced visibility. May I add that we had THREE boats full of divers on that particular feed, about 70 divers in the water.

Yes I have, or I would not have shared my observation. Glad you had good viz on yours. I tried to video it when I went and couldn't see Slate from less than 15 ft. away for all the stirred up sand.

Wow, how odd that we had such different experiences. I figured 70 divers would mess up ANY waters.

Odd perhaps, but still true. At least my part of it. That's the only part I know about first hand.

Last edited:
That just goes to show, you need to just sign up for and enjoy events, they can go either way. Hope for the best and remember, the worst day of diving is better than the best day at work!

Avery-- well you have been weighed and measured. I'd say try some useful input.. lots of reading then maybe just maybe a few months from now mention you have a service to offer without mentioning others in your doing so.

IE--- My Stuff is way Better than Brand X their Stuff stinks. instead do this...

Come try my Stuff! My stuff is great and you will love it.

Avery-- well you have been weighed and measured. I'd say try some useful input.. lots of reading then maybe just maybe a few months from now mention you have a service to offer without mentioning others in your doing so.

IE--- My Stuff is way Better than Brand X their Stuff stinks. instead do this...

Come try my Stuff! My stuff is great and you will love it.

Thanks for everyone's advise. Maybe everyone can begin to take it easy on azchipka. He he did PM me very early to say he's actually unavailable the weekend I'm in Key Largo, but he can ask Silent World where he is contracted if they can help.

He says he works for/with Silent World, and says to call him to see what they can do. Many other people/shops do that same. On that, perhaps he needs to be more tactful -- and I'm sure he's learning that.

About the "scare tactics", of sharks in Key Largo. He never discouraged me from Capt. Slate's Creature dive. He felt it's not a good idea to be snorkeling on top since there is shark feeding. People disagreed with him on that. Please not that he did also say if my 2 sons instead of snorkeling on top but is doing DSD, it'll be better. He is in fact possibly steering my sons toward more business (DSD) with Capt. Slate.

So yes, he didn't like the idea of snorkelers on top during Capt. Slate's Creature dive. He felt that way. I thought it may have some validity, so I asked here and in this thread sharks in Key Largo. Thanks to many who reassured that there's minimal danger for the snorkelers.

Avery said good things about Capt. Slate, and Rainbow that I asked, even though they are Silent World's competition. He also had fast response and good comments in other posts. So we should give him credit for that.

Some pointed out his website needs fixing. That's quite true and he admits that. Maybe he looks like a hot blooded young punk at first. But hey many of us were like that (I was almost like that. Well, he's much better looking than me). He's learning. I'm learning. We all enjoying diving, and many are helping each here in SB. I hope he continues to participate and give advise to people. If he says something wrong, looks like there are many people who are ready to set him straight. That'll only help him too.

So azchipka, thanks for all your good comments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom