Ko Samui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys
My husband and I are travelling to Ko Samui in either March or April and i want to do a few dive trips whilst staying on the Island...

I have been reading some threads here about either Koh Tao and Koh Samui...I have a couple of questions:

1) With hubby being a none diver is it best to stay on which Island and is there fishing ect for him to do whist I'm diving(because I'm not selfish at all hehehe!:D)

2) Would you recommend a hassle free dive center(i will be taking mask and my fins but will need to hire other gear)

3)What is the travel time to Koh Tao from Koh Samui??????

Thanks

Hi there !

To be honest if you want to dive you are better to stay on Koh Tao - if you stay here you can visit 2 dive sites in the morning and be with your hubby by lunchtime - if you dive from Samui the longer transfer times wouldnt allow this. There are fishing trips available from Koh Tao daily too.

Ferries take around 2 hours to get between the 2 island but the timings do not allow you to come here for a day and dive and then return.

I live here so let me know if you have more questions.
Ayesha

Koh Tao is OK for non-divers, but I think Samui or Koh Pha-Ngan would possibly be a better fit - much more variety in non-diving activities. For Samui check out 100 Degrees East, and for Koh Pha-Ngan try Sail Rock Divers.

I have spent a bit of time in koh samui, finishing off building a rental house (Baan Pimalai)

What I have done before is to do day trips to koh Tao. It's fairly easy to do. I used EasyDivers who have several outlets around the island. They collect you from your villa or hotel, organise all the equipment you need and then use a fast boat (1hour to 1hour 20 mins) to go to Koh Tao. You can mange two dives then return back to koh samui, where they will drop you back off at your accommodation. Normally back by 5 or 530.

Last time I was there I did mango bay and white rock on koh Tao. Both pretty nice and easy dives.

The advantage of staying in koh samui and day tripping is that it lets your other half enjoy koh samui whilst you are diving. There is a lot more to see and do on Koh Samui, whereas Koh Tao is mainly a diving centre (largest diver training place in Thailand.

If you need more info, i did a blog page on the dives i did, that i can give you the link to.

bill

Hi Guys
My husband and I are travelling to Ko Samui in either March or April and i want to do a few dive trips whilst staying on the Island...

I have been reading some threads here about either Koh Tao and Koh Samui...I have a couple of questions:

1) With hubby being a none diver is it best to stay on which Island and is there fishing ect for him to do whist I'm diving(because I'm not selfish at all hehehe!:D)

2) Would you recommend a hassle free dive center(i will be taking mask and my fins but will need to hire other gear)

3)What is the travel time to Koh Tao from Koh Samui??????

Thanks

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2013 at 05:16 PM ----------

Baan Pimalai | Our holiday home in unspoiled Koh Samui

That would be great thanks Bill!

Especially April has generally some great visibility. One advantage of staying on Samui is that most companies use speedboats to Sail Rock, a dive site usually not visited that much by the Koh Tao shops and imho the best dive site in the Gulf.
As already pointed out, Samui also ha a lot more to offer compared to Koh Tao when it comes down to non diving activities. Day trips are also done each day to Koh Tao but due to logistics only 2 dives per day can be offered (although some operators offer 3 dives a day once a week) and diving is more expensive compared to Koh Tao.

I went to travel agent today and due to lack of time and hubby now wanting to go either to the James Bond Rock or the floating markets in Bangkok we have decided to stay solely on Koh Samui...do you guys have any recommendations on dive centers to use and accomodation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom