Ko Tao for DMT: any suggestions for a dive center ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sophie_chisasibi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi !
I am expecting to do my DMT arround January 15th in Ko Tao.
I am looking for a dive center who have flexible schedule, dive a large range of dive sites during the DMT, works with smaller groups ( ... but not too small, I'd like t have students !) and close to a service area / downtown (beachs, rstaurants, bars....)
I don't mind to pay more for a high quality instructors and dive shop... (but I don't necessarely want a private or semi-private DMT)...
I don't really care for the brand of the equipment, I will bring mine...
And if the shop can make arrangment / discount for the accomodation, that would be great!
Thanks !

Sophie

Would you like to book in advance or upon arrival. Both options work easy and fine on Koh Tao.

Maybe best for you to just go over and have a look around and get a feel with/for the various shops and options out there and make your choice based on that.

There are a couple of really big shops, like Ban's, Buddha View, Asia Divers, Crystal Divers and loads of medium range and small shops. Looking at what you describe, you may want to opt for a medium range shop. The medium range shops should not have problems with enough students coming through.

In that respect, don't hesitate to look up Planet Scuba at Mae Haad.

Most shops wil be able to help you find a place to stay. Most staff lives at Sairee beach.

I did my IDC plus MSDT Internship at Crystal having done plenty of research. I was extremely impressed. Big shop with all the facilities but very personal touch including having a maximum of 6 students per Instructor and really 'standards orientated. I mainly assisted on O/W, AOW & Rescue courses but in my last 2 weeks worked with their DMT program with a guy called Stiofan who is responsible for all their DMT's. First class bloke. Always got time for you and really knows his stuff. Although i didn't do my DMT with these guys i would highly reccomend popping your head in and having a chat.

This is easy. You are describing one shop exactly. Scuba Junction. The manager is an incredibly experienced Instructor who runs the shop very tightly and to European Standards. Groups are small (max 4 people in courses and fun diving) and you get plenty of experience.
Seriously, wait until you get to the island, walk in to a few massive shops (Ban's, Buddha View) and see how you feel. Ask to see their equipment rooms.
Then walk into Scuba J, and you will see what I mean. Top notch.

On the other hand, you can be a number in a factory, get your cert and get out.

disclaimer - I run a shop on the other side of Thailand, and model our service on how Scuba J runs things...

I'd second that for Scuba Junction. Also Pheonix divers are exellent. Go have a Chat to Neil Farmer of Klaus. They are top guys.

Cheers

Alex

I dove with Crystal over a couple of dive trips. they were good. good accomodations, pool on site, very central location at Mae Haad, which I like. a friend of mine got his open water cert there and was happy. Nice, if young bunch of folks.

I met some of the folks from Davy Jones Locker, a BSAC and PADI shop, but didnt get a chance to dive with them as I met them the evening before I was leaving. They are more tech oriented, doing lots of wrecks, and were pretty fun to talk to. If I were to go back to Koh Tao, I would probably check them out. their web site is http://www.techdivethailand.com/

I think you should go and visit the schools and see how the environment is in those shops. A lot of people say theirs is the best but you have to look at the fact theres over 30 dive shops on the island, all of which offer DMT programs. I think what's important is look at how the DMT's are treated and if they get the opportunity for employment after for some real life experience. I know where i work right now, which if you want to know more you can message me ( i think it's in poor taste to mention on here and try to tout dive schools) there are 13 DMT's who essentially live, work and socialize together, always eating together and learning with each other which makes it a very enjoyable place to be.

is bans really that much of a factory? i'm heading to koh tao to do an idc in febuary and i was thinking of doing it with them...its hard to decide with out actually going and checking things out beforehand...but places tend to give discounts if you book/pay in advance and idc courses can get expensive. i really don't want to get a psudo education at an instructor factory though....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom