L Street Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Guys,

I have discussed and posted a bit about back bay diving and "easy" NJ diving. I'm still waiting to log dives and gain experience before I head into an AOW course, and I don't have the safety sausage and pony bottle equipment or necessary training. I was advised to contact DiversTwo, which unfortunately is having their next back bay dive on one of my work nights.

I was wondering if anyone is interested in some day time, week day, back bay diving around the L street bridge. I'm new to diving but comfortable in the water.

Thanks,
-BC

Week days are difficult over the next couple weeks - could you do a night dive? Friday night or weekend night dive? BTW it is L Street - no bridge but a ramp and marina... :D

Week days are difficult over the next couple weeks - could you do a night dive? Friday night or weekend night dive? BTW it is L Street - no bridge but a ramp and marina... :D

Ahhhh! After looking at the map I see what you mean. I think there was also a railroad bridge that was recommended in my entry level dive thread that I started a few days ago. Sorry about that.

I could definitely do a night dive. It would be my first night dive, so that would really be something. I have a couple weekend days that are open, but they are super hard to work out. Maybe Saturday Aug 2?

Aug 2nd would be difficult - unless you can do an early afternoon dive - see below.
High tide at 12:39pm - just after lunch - unless you could make that time.
Low tide at 6:50pm - just after dinner - not much fun diving at low tide.

To see the tides - go to this link Tide Location Selection for New Jersey

Select a location - click #3 - Long Branch to Seaside Heights - this is for Shark River and or Manasquan River
Look for Shark River and select radio button on New Bedford
Then click Jump to Date Selection - takes you to the bottom
Select August, 2014 for Month of Tides
Select 2 for First Day of Tides (2=2nd)
Select Number of Days (1,2,3,4,5...) however many days you would like to see
Click Get Tides

So not sure if afternoon works or if you would be working a shift then - but this is how I use the tide charts to get a feel for when you can dive.
I could do a Sat afternoon dive but sounded like you may be working.

Aug 2nd would be difficult - unless you can do an early afternoon dive - see below.
High tide at 12:39pm - just after lunch - unless you could make that time.
Low tide at 6:50pm - just after dinner - not much fun diving at low tide.

To see the tides - go to this link Tide Location Selection for New Jersey

Select a location - click #3 - Long Branch to Seaside Heights - this is for Shark River and or Manasquan River
Look for Shark River and select radio button on New Bedford
Then click Jump to Date Selection - takes you to the bottom
Select August, 2014 for Month of Tides
Select 2 for First Day of Tides (2=2nd)
Select Number of Days (1,2,3,4,5...) however many days you would like to see
Click Get Tides

So not sure if afternoon works or if you would be working a shift then - but this is how I use the tide charts to get a feel for when you can dive.
I could do a Sat afternoon dive but sounded like you may be working.

That actually might work. I'm going to pencil it in. I'm actually off on Saturday now, so that might be perfect.

bc214,

Starting to sound fun. OK, L-Street is way too busy for me during summer daylight hours, but becomes a really sweet "kiddie pool" dive late, late night. The occasional propeller keeps it real.

I could totally enjoy that, did it often with the kid. No biggie with the tides or current, just keep going out until you get 4-10' of saltwater. No promises on the viz. I'll bring bags, floats, and lights.
Just post a weekday 'meet-up' when you are free, all welcome to join in. You could have started something with diving the "LSB". :wink:

I might even back off *a bit* from my trademark "aloof" attitude...

I'll bring an 80% deco cylinder to help get the grill started. Yeah, I know, 100% is faster. But I got time...:tongue2:

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 01:01 AM ----------

So I need a shellfish license and have a sorry old favorite surf rod that needs a new ferrule that only a GOOD surf tackle shop can supply. Weather is rainy so tourist traffic will be reasonable...

New wing to test, on my way to Belmar now, should be salty by Oh Four Hundred. Stop by if you see a pair of strobes on a dive float in the basin by L-Street. :D

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 08:59 AM ----------

Oh Eight Thirty, back home with a vehicle full of wet dive gear. :D

First, this dive should really be called "K" street, not "L" street. Google Earth: 40 10'44.57N 74 01'59.06"W

There is now a small trailer where I used to park right next to the ramp entrance. Looks like we now have a ramp master. No prob, I parked past the cones. I think that I had to walk a whole 20 feet to the ramp!

Always get the same feeling walking down the ramp to the inky black water with not a soul in sight. Creepy, that is until I get under and everything mellows out...

Spent most of my time just goofing near the pier and seawall. Recovering from an ear injury, much better but still sore. Stayed shallow, I have a dive in three weeks and don't want to mess that up.

Tons of life in the shallows at night. Blue claw crabs, small (~3-4") flounder and the usual gang of fish that are attracted to dive lights. All small stuff. Viz is as expected, 2-3' probably graces it. Not a single boat. Splashed at about 3:00, packed and driving out at 5:00 just as someone went over to unlock the trailer. Can't say for sure, but looks like the party is over at 5 AM.

Last edited:
There is now a small trailer where I used to park right next to the ramp entrance. Looks like we now have a ramp master. No prob, I parked past the cones. I think that I had to walk a whole 20 feet to the ramp!

A trailer? Ramp master? For boats I'm assuming? Do they control the parking in the area?

The trailer is to control the boat ramp - paying and such (I think you can buy tokens for the gate to the ramp) - you can park where you can find a spot - there are no meters but there is a spot for vehicles and boat trailers - don't park in there (there is a sign to remind you)...

May be worth doing a drive, park and walk around just to see the place... to the north/left side of the parking and ramp is generally where folks dive - towards the pylons and dock which is in front of the small beach - sometimes paddle-boards go there too... I generally enter from the beach close to the ramp so it is not a giant stride off the boat dock...

Thanks for the info guys. Saturday isn't going to work for me, as I'm working the night before and after. I would rather not dive too drowsy!

Hopefully we might be able to get something together next week. Maybe Wednesday night dive? The week after I have a fee days off as well.

Not sure that will work - the trouble with diving inlets is you need to time it with the tides - Low Tides are not much fun - High Tide is much better..

Aug 6 High 4:15 PM - High Tide
Aug 6 Low 11:09 PM - Low Tide

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom