Lady Elliot or Heron Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bunnyhon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi my husband and I will fly to Sydney on Feb 1 and we will rent a car and drive up to Brisbane (we have 2 weeks). While we are planning on spending 5 or 6 days for the drive he wants to do a few dives in the area....from what I read we have kind of set our eyes on Lady Elliot Island or Heron Island for a 4 or 5 night stay. The idea is that he can go off to do short shore dives during the day while I snorkel around the island. Which island is better for us? (I would normally dive with him but I have a baby situation here :D)

Have we missed anything along the way? I read about Byron - how does that compare to the islands?

Can't wait to get out of the cold!!!!

Dived at heron in 2004. Its a sand kay surrounded by coral reef, about 2 hours from Gladstone. Most of the dives are 18 metres or shallower (not the place for big deep wall dives.) within 10 minutes boat ride. Shore diving not really an option, surface swim too far to get some depth. However some good snorkelling from shore. 3 dives a day with a night dive 1 or 2 times a week. Rooms and food good .I stayed in the reef suites. Very relaxing type of place, not really a party island. No phones/TV in rooms. In February the turtle eggs should still be hatching.

Cheers

hi and sorry for missing this before!

we are planning on gonig to lady elliott in august. i have spoken to a few people that had been there in the past year and they loved it

BUT, i dont think you would regreat diving in Bryon either - i hear it rocks

cheers

Hi,

I have dived Lady Elliot a couple of times from a liveaboard and would recommend it. Good life, relatively untouched. Haven't been to Heron to compare...

I second almitywife's comment re Byron...it is well worth a dive or two if you're passing that way...keep your fingers crossed for good weather...a good dive day there can be outstanding...but a rough/windy day...:icon16:

Stayed at Heron Island in 2003 (before I discovered diving), and as others have said it's very relaxing, cabins were confortable, and the food was awesome. We were there right during turtle nesting season, so every day we saw plenty of adult turtles (largest I've ever seen anywhere), as well as hatchlings. Snorkeling was good (large stingrays, guitarfish and blacktip reef sharks came right next to the beach) but if I remember well the edge of the reef is too far (and the water too shallow) to scuba from shore.

Just got back from Lady Elliot Island and it was INCREDIBLE. The staff are awesome and the dives were brilliant.
Lots of sea turtles!
2336817578_5cb6e662e8_m.jpg

(some of them like a good back scratch)

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to know what the temp was like in Heron Island around July. We're planning to go diving in July and was wondering if a 3mm suit is enough.

Hi Reaver
Depends if you feel the cold. Think you will find the water between 22deg to 18 depending on the weather. I would be wearing a 5mm especially if doing a few dives on the day.
Byron is fantastic, as is Solitary Island at Coffs Habour on the way up.
Enjoy you trip.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to know what the temp was like in Heron Island around July. We're planning to go diving in July and was wondering if a 3mm suit is enough.

We were there in August a couple years ago and the temps were mid-to-high 60s °F.

Depends what you're used to, but we were very cold in 5mm + rashguard + hood - Mrs. DivingPanda had to add a 5mm shortie on top of that to stay comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom