Lake Denton Info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be picking up a couple kayaks for scuba diving in Lake Alfred tomorrow and figured I would drive down to Lake Denton to try kayuba for the first time. This way there won't be any currents, etc. to deal with. What do I need to know about this site? I assume there's a wicked thermocline? Will the kayaks be a problem?

If anyone sees us out there about 1:30, come introduce yourself!

CBulla:
I could be wrong, but I remember reading on here that Denton had been closed to recreational diving... PSD training only.

I will double check tom.I have to pick up a tank from my LDS and I will ask him in the morning.

Crazy Fingers:
I'm going to be picking up a couple kayaks for scuba diving in Lake Alfred tomorrow and figured I would drive down to Lake Denton to try kayuba for the first time. This way there won't be any currents, etc. to deal with. What do I need to know about this site? I assume there's a wicked thermocline? Will the kayaks be a problem?

If anyone sees us out there about 1:30, come introduce yourself!

I was certified here last weekend (so yes, it's open). The max temp at depth (46' in the center of the lake) was 78 (so there is essentially little if no thermocline). Perhaps it will have declined another degree or two by now. This lake is small but great for practicing as you are wanting to do. Beware, that typically there are many divers, and the parking spots are relatively hard to see from the water. My instructor had his car broken into numerous times at this location.

I've only dove Lake Denton once, and I hated it. Visibility was poor (15ft maybe) and the damn fish kept swarming me looking for food. Kind of freaked me out. The only reason I dove it was because my kids were getting certified.

But I guess it beats not diving.

P.S. There have been lots of reports of car break-ins and stolen equipment. Be careful. You'll have to park pretty far away.

Well it went okay. Nothing was stolen! There were some shady looking people hanging around there, though. Visibility was maaaaybe 10' today, probably less. I noticed somewhat of a thermo around the 25' mark. I only spent 24 minutes underwater exploring the three boats that were sunk. I like how someone removed one of the "No Swimming" signs and zip tied it on one of the boats! :eyebrow: The schools of bream were kind of cool, I thought.

I learned a lot about diving from a kayak today though. It's actually very easy. Certainly no more hassle than diving out of a boat! There are a lot of little tricks that make life so much easier. But I can definitely see how it can be a total nightmare if you do it wrong!!

So how the heck do you get back into the kayak after you're done diving? Do you take your equipment off and either throw it in the kayak or tie your inflated BC to a rope? I just don't see how you get back in without flipping the dang thing.

BTW, I didn't want to disagree with fndmylove because he has dove there recently, but when I dove there last summer there was one hell of a themocline around 25ft. Yikes. Temp probably dropped 5 degrees.

HappyFunBoater:
BTW, I didn't want to disagree with fndmylove because he has dove there recently, but when I dove there last summer there was one hell of a themocline around 25ft. Yikes. Temp probably dropped 5 degrees.

perhaps I was so excited about my first dive that I didnt notice. :D . I think there was at least a 2 deg diff (80-78) between surface temp and bottom temp though.

HappyFunBoater:
So how the heck do you get back into the kayak after you're done diving? Do you take your equipment off and either throw it in the kayak or tie your inflated BC to a rope? I just don't see how you get back in without flipping the dang thing.

It's actually really easy. The ocean kayaks are pretty stable. I can stand up in mine and walk around in it, although carefully.

You either drop anchor or throw out a line from the boat. Then inflate your BC and clip it to a line, then throw it off the boat. Then you jump in, unclip it, get into it, and grab the anchor/drift line. Descend and dive!

To get back in, inflate your BC fully and clip it off to the same line it was previously clipped to. With your fins on, grab the far side of the kayak and kick hard as you pull yourself up. Then rotate 180 degrees onto your butt. Take off fins and pull up BC. Raise anchor or store drift line and you're done!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom