Land based diving: Komdo or Raja Ampat? Which makes more sense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, do you know any names of reputable budget LOB's in Komodo? Does Raja Ampat have LOB's in the same price range? Everything I've seen there is quite pricey.

I am sure that you will have a wonderful trip. Although I suggested a LOB, you will have a wonderful time with land-based resorts. One other inexpensive LOB to consider is Current Junkies. Don't be put off by their name. It's a small boat, the captain has lots of local experience and knowledge. They will know the best tide cycle for each dive site and it's not too expensive. Strong currents define many of the best dive sites, at least for large fish and Pelagius. Alternatively, there are other LOBs that cost way less than 3000Euros, more like $270USD/day.

It seems to me that three beautiful and visually stunning dives per day is more than enough. In particular, if one or two of the dives are deep (recreational depths). The Komodo seascape and landscape are fantastic, so why not enjoy the afternoon scenery with a beer or wine. FYI, many LOB's leave Komodo late September for the crossing to Raja Ampat. My personal feeling is that October is a bit late season.

My personal feeling is that October is a bit late season.

Would you propose diving the South earlier than October?

Back to your original post... you seem pretty keen to hit Komodo or RA, but you should possibly consider spending your time only in Bali and Nusa Lembongan (mantas and mola2). Given you are with kids and grandparents you will be able to find much more agreeable accommodation (given your budget) in Bali and NL and you will have considerably less travel. AND the diving in Bali is brilliant and varied.

Just a thought.

Back to your original post... you seem pretty keen to hit Komodo or RA, but you should possibly consider spending your time only in Bali and Nusa Lembongan (mantas and mola2). Given you are with kids and grandparents you will be able to find much more agreeable accommodation (given your budget) in Bali and NL and you will have considerably less travel. AND the diving in Bali is brilliant and varied.

Just a thought.

well you just -always- read about komodo and raja ampat. so it seems like it would be a shame to go all the way to indonesia (which frankly is very far for us), and be a one hour flight from komodo.. and not go. i don't think i could do it. regarding activities for parents/kids. they don't need any, they just need a beach and comfortable room. they're not going to go anywhere with the kids in a foreign country except if there's a market they can walk to or something. the kids are young.

what do you recommend around bali as far as diving is concerned? we were thinking of september because we'd like to see some mola mola's and it's a good time to visit komodo so it seems like a good sweet spot if wanting to dive both areas?

---------- Post added April 24th, 2015 at 05:11 PM ----------

Just saw this. I'm not sure about the advice about grandparents. I'm 68. I've had ovarian cancer and I dive mostly in Indonesia. I have no more problems than my 43 year old son. I wouldn't leave the gps and children at home without consulting them. I haven't made it to komodo yet but I think that would be a great place to visit as a non diver.

my other concern is access to quality health care for the kids given one will be at most a year old if we go in september, or 8 months old if we go in may. if ever something should happen.. also vaccinations, malaria, etc.. not sure if it's worth it with the young one's. we travelled a lot with our first born but only north america/europe.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2015 at 05:12 PM ----------

Would you propose diving the South earlier than October?

what is the best time for the north, which is where we would dive if staying in labuan bajo or one of the island resorts?

You really will not be disappointed with the diving in Bali, true it is not quite Komodo or RA BUT it really is pretty close. In terms of muck/critter dives I would say it is even better than RA. And there are some stunning coral dives that on their day could equal RA & Komodo. AND you wont be seeing the Mola Mola in Komodo and RA.

So as for where to stay in Bali, look at spending some time in Candidasa (or Padang Bai) for critters and coral dives, Tulamben for the wreck and critters, and then Nusa Lembongan for the mantas, MM and great coral.
In all these places you will have budget (but good) accommodation options on or close to the beach and the diving will be super close and super good.

AND the biggest thing is that as you are in Bali you will be fairly close to "decent" medical care (well lets say as good medical care as you will get in Indo) should it be needed.

But each to their own. Indo is always a great adventure.

You really will not be disappointed with the diving in Bali, true it is not quite Komodo or RA BUT it really is pretty close. In terms of muck/critter dives I would say it is even better than RA. And there are some stunning coral dives that on their day could equal RA & Komodo. AND you wont be seeing the Mola Mola in Komodo and RA.

So as for where to stay in Bali, look at spending some time in Candidasa (or Padang Bai) for critters and coral dives, Tulamben for the wreck and critters, and then Nusa Lembongan for the mantas, MM and great coral.
In all these places you will have budget (but good) accommodation options on or close to the beach and the diving will be super close and super good.

AND the biggest thing is that as you are in Bali you will be fairly close to "decent" medical care (well lets say as good medical care as you will get in Indo) should it be needed.

But each to their own. Indo is always a great adventure.

Cool, I'm not so much interested in critters and muck diving, i'm most interesting in just seeing tons of fish and vibrant colors and hopefully some big stuff like manta's and mola mola. we'd rather not move around too much so we'd probably do 3 days on nusa lembongan diving there, and diving nusa penida as well. is it possible to dive tulemben as a day trip from lembongan? it seems the wreck is the star attraction, i haven't done a ton of wreck diving but there seems to be wrecks all over the world, is this one special in some way that it warrants sacrificing a day of diving around nusa lembongan?

i'd ideally like to base ourselves somewhere with a nice beach where my parents and kids can play while we're diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom