Land Photo Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRRKAR

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In July a group of us are going on the Belize Agressor and then straying in Belize for a few days. We plan to do things like the zip line, cave tubing, etc. Being that I'm an avid photographer and this is our first trip to Belize, can anyone offer any suggestions about taking a camera on these land adventures?

Obviously I'm not going to take my underwater housing on land, but if anyone has done these land tours and can offer any suggestions (as to whether there are good photo opps, or a way to take a camera with you, etc) it would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Hey Jeff

For sure there are some great photo ops in the jungles of Belize, not quite sure what you are getting at as to how to take a camera with you unless its an IMAX camera, :D LOL of course you would need to take into account for the tubing that it would need to be protected from the water as you are in the river so a dry bag is reccommended to keep property dry.

If you can elaborate a little more as to your concerns I am sure the guys on here can advise

Dive Safe

Gaz Cooper

Thanks for the response. For clarification....for the zip lining..is it worth taking a camera along? We have never done it so I'm not sure if it is worth trying to take a camrea along. I have a few Sony DSLR's that are bigger and obviously more bulky to try and take a long. But if it is worth it, I will try to figure out a way to carry it along. I have a back pack camera bag but am not sure if it would interfere with the harness. Obviously I couldn't stop along the line and take off the bag and camera, but maybe there is a way to secure the camera to me to get pictures along the way.

Likewise for the cave tubing, is there anything worthwile to take pictures of along the way....or would the pictures be more of the group enjoying themselves? I have a small drybag that I could take along but again if it isn't worth trying to take equipment along then I won't even bother.

For the myian ruins that's an easy one. We were going to do the ATV tour, but our understanding is that the last hurricane destroyed the area.

So any helpful insights would be appreciated.

Jeff

Some friends went ziplining and they got good photos and some good video (in fact we used some of the ziplining footage on our website. We have friends, relatives and customers who bring cameras all the time and they get some great photos and some great video. I think if you use the same practices that you would in the USA for taking photos in the wild and the wet, you will be just fine.

My wife and I stayed in Belize City for a few days last summer before heading off to Turneffe Island Resort for a week of diving. We went cave tubing one day after communing with some Howler Monkeys at the Baboon Sanctuary.

The cave tubing and zip line tours share the same parking lot and are about a half hour's drive out of Belize City. I didn't want to risk damaging my camera and I'm not much of a photographer anyway, so I left it behind in the car.

There's nothing particularly spectacular along the cave tubing route but it is very pretty. I particularly remember some gigantic ferns or palms along the river banks. I didn't feel like I missed any great photo ops by not taking the camera, although had I had my camera with me I'm sure I would have taken a lot of shots.

The river is relatively easy to navigate and there's very little chance of an accident. The trickiest part was crossing the river right after you get there, but there's a rope you can hold onto for balance. From there, it was about a half hour or so of a hike up the river. The path is relatively flat and easy but keep in mind you'll be lugging your tube and life jacket, too.

I don't remember seeing anyone else there with a camera, but the cruise ship crowds were leaving just as we were arriving so there weren't a lot of people there. There were busloads upon busloads of them headed back to Belize City. Try to avoid them if you can by going a little later in the day like we did.

We would have gone zip lining afterwards but at that point my wife was getting tired as we'd already had a pretty full day, so we skipped it. There are free showers for washing up afterwards, which is a nice touch.

Have fun! We had a blast.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom